Mexican Petunia?

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
These were given to my parents, and they have gone wild! They hate the cold, and grow like nuts. They bloom purple flowers, which then give green bulbs, which turn yellow then orange. The insides look kind of like a tomato. I found pictures of Mexican Petunias, but ours grow to be massive! 6+ feet. We live south of Seattle Washington. I apologize for the poor pictures.

Random049.jpg

The person in the pic is around 5' 5" tall.

Random047-2.jpg

Excuse the assorted poultry. Note the purple blossoms.

Random048-1.jpg

This is the best pic I could find of the leaves. You can also see the green bulbs forming.

Again, sorry for the bad quality of pics. They seem different from a Mexican Petunia. I also read that MP are invasive, which sounds scary. Any input would be appreciated.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is too bad that there is not a close-up of the bloom, but from what I can tell this looks just like a member of the Nightshade family.

Ron

Kristinaagain

Sprout
Reaction score
Well......What was given to me as mexican petunia is very different from what you have. Mine makes a pretty bush and defenitely doesn't grow in the tree like way I see that one does. It does make purple flowers that look like that though but I've never seen it make any bulbs? The one you pictured is very pretty though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ETA...just noticed my leaves are different too. The picture is not of my actual plant but this is what mine looks like.

http://www.floridafriendlyplants.com/DatabaseImages/MexicanPetuniaPurpleShowers.jpg

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had a better close up of a blossom. Mine have a little yellow center, unlike the pic of the Mexican Petunia you linked, Kristinaggain. It reminds me of eggplant blooms, slightly. Only the "fruit" doesn't get large. It blooms all year, but more in summer. I live two hours away now, as these are at the house I grew up in. So next time I get down I'll post again with better pics.

Kristinaagain

Sprout
Reaction score
Now that the yellow center was mentioned. I have to agree that it's most likely some kinds nightshade

Latest posts