Mini Orchard

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what breeds of apples and what types of other fruit I should put in the mini orchard I want to plant this year? I am planning on not using any chemicals or pesticides. Just chickens for bug control. Thanks,
henry

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Remember apples won't bear for AT LEAST a couple years after you plant them. If you don't ahve much space available, consider one (or more) multi-grafted plants, that have branches of several different varieties stuck on. That way you can have a somewhat more diverse, and spread-out, harvest. It is worth considering some of the newfangled disease-resistant varieties (so's not to have to spray), although you may feel they haven't quite the flavor or texture (IMO) of some of the more disease susceptible but Really Good Old varieties (opinions differ).

Peaches are especially good for the home orchard if you ask me, since ripe off the tree they are way better than what you'd get in a typical store. Again, it will be a few years before you get any crop.

With chickens running loose you might have to stay away from berry fruits, unfortunately, although you might be able to train raspberries or blackberries to wires above chicken level, others can tell you more about that than I can.

Have fun,

Pat

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I understand about the apples taking awhile and I might have to reconsider we already have a berry patch an the chickens are on a tractor and pen system so they can't get to them. I might just expand our berry patch.

are their any fruits that would bear alot almost emeadiatly?
Thanks
Henry

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On trees? Not really. You can get 3-year-old trees, but they still won't bear reliably for a couple of years.

Can you explain more about how much space we're talking about, whether or not there is a handy wall nearby, what exactly you want to get out of a home orchard, and how much time you're willing to put into it? I mean, generally for a very small space, I would recommend varieties that can be espaliered or trained as cordons--apples make great cordons, and that way you can fit a lot of different trees into a fairly small space, get several unusual varieties. But you've got to trim the buggers and keep them pruned. And they still won't bear fruit the first year or two.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you want something that will bear *before* you go off to college or apprentice on a farm or whatever, then I am afraid you may be somewhat out of luck for fruit trees. Oh, sure, in two or three years you could probably coax an apple or two (like, literally one or two) off an initially-expensive-enough tree, but if your parents have no interest in a long term orchard it prolly isn't worth it. (Do they?)

Some bush things, like currants or gooseberries, can bear reasonably well within a year or two of planting. I have no idea how well they'd do in MD (I'd be concerned about wholesale attacks of mildew, tho they do well up North here). Tractored chickens would keep 'em safe.

Sorry not to be of more help,

Pat

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My mom just shut this Idea down LOL she said your going to college and I am not taking care of the tree's so its a no go LOL.

Thanks for the help
henry

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat: I used to do all kinda berries in SE Pennsylvania ~1 hour from Baltimore without excessive mildew. You have to be a little less generous with the mulch and be sure to rake it up good in, oh, early March or thereabouts, so that air can circulate around the plants when it's all rainy and damp in spring, but I always counted less mulch as less work. Never had to spray. Had to thin canes/branches a little bit more than I would up here, but not significantly so, and that's mostly because I am fussy about not having to spray a whole lot.

I'm just sayin'.

Henry, you can keep a pruned fruit tree in a container in your dorm/apartment, and it will bear. The thing is, fruit trees need chill hours to set fruit, so the tree has to be on a balcony or some such over the winter. If you've got a room with a balcony or you have a sympathetic botany prof who will give you greenhouse access, then keep one in a pot.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am really thinking about going to ag school I am not sure though We will see.

Thanks
Henry

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
burgess.com sells what they call a postage stamp orchard. It is planted in a 10x20 space and is designed to need no extra fruit trees for pollination. It includes a red and yellow delicious apples, elberta peach, Kieffer pear, north star cherry, and a dwarf nectarine. All are dwarf trees. You could even do like we did and buy them else where but the same varties so that you get larger older trees. They will take a few years to produce though. But Grapes, raspberries and blueberries also take a few years to porduce well. But all I feel are a great investment.

Latest posts