Mint cuttings not working well

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have tried several times to grow some cuttings from a friend's chocolate mint. I cut a big handful of stems and put them in water, and they grow tons of roots within a few days. However, when I try to put them into dirt, they just dry up and die within a day. I water them really well several times a day, but in our hot climate the water is gone quickly, even with mulch and a plastic bottle over the plants.

Am I missing a step between rooting them in water and planting them in the dirt? That always worked fine for me in Colorado, but it wasn't so dry and hot there.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try doing what I did with my gotu kola, another water lover. Get a styrofoam ice chest or worn out regular ice chest and punch a couple of holes in the bottom. then bury it with an inch or so of the rim above ground. That lets you flood it and keep the ground boggy the way it likes.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would be so much better if you could dig up a little patch with roots. Doesn't need to be much, but they will heal right in, no problem...

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting idea with the styrofoam. I've got a bunch of those around...

Unfortunately I can't dig out a patch, as it's growing in a small pot on my friend's porch and I don't want to mess hers up.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you try the styrofoam idea just root the cuttings right into the wet ground. Cut sprigs about 6 inches long and clip off all the leaves except for a few at the tip, then bury the entire bare stem. Don't try to pull the leaves off; the stalks are tender and you'll tear them. just clip the leaf off at the stem end.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Here in the UK we often take cuttings of mint to take indoors for a winter supply. The accepted method, here, is to take a longish stems which you strip of leaves which you then lay horizontally in a container (a seed-tray or other plastic container will do fine). Then cover with soil & keep well watered until the shoots appear from each of the position of where the pairs of leaves used to be. This way you get a good clump of mint fast. It just mimics the method of the mint growing wild as it gets top-heavy & keels over to root itself.

Hope this helps. I think the other way allows the leaves to dry out too fast, so it dies off. This way it roots all along the buried stem. It is great having fresh mint all winter inside. :D

Good luck. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plants' roots are different when they grow in water than when they grow in dirt. It is "challenging" for a plant to make the transition.

Thus, probably the best most worry-free thing to do would be to START your cuttings in soilless potting mix, in a pot, indoors or in a 100%-always shaded location. You will need some sort of humidity-containing thingie over them, to keep 'em from wilting til roots grow. Let them get well established on their roots -- with significant new topgrowth -- before you even think of transplanting them into the ground.

Alternatively you can start them in water, but when the roots are only about 1/2" long put them immediately into a pot of soilless mix and treat as above.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:

Here in the UK we often take cuttings of mint to take indoors for a winter supply. The accepted method, here, is to take a longish stems which you strip of leaves which you then lay horizontally in a container (a seed-tray or other plastic container will do fine). Then cover with soil & keep well watered until the shoots appear from each of the position of where the pairs of leaves used to be. This way you get a good clump of mint fast. It just mimics the method of the mint growing wild as it gets top-heavy 7 keels over to root itself.

Hope this helps. I think the other way allows the leaves to dry out too fast, so it dies off. This way it roots all along the buried stem. It is great having fresh mint all winter inside. :D

Good luck. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose
You know, I thought of doing that after I had already started these, but didn't know if it actually would work. I will try that with some I think.

Thanks!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie! I have some pineapple mint I want to multiply and I will give that method a try :D

Plants' roots are different when they grow in water than when they grow in dirt. It is "challenging" for a plant to make the transition.
I noticed that with my sweet potato slips. The ones I started in water then put in a pot aren't doing nearly as well as the ones that went right in to the dirt.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Thanks Hattie! I have some pineapple mint I want to multiply and I will give that method a try :D

I noticed that with my sweet potato slips. The ones I started in water then put in a pot aren't doing nearly as well as the ones that went right in to the dirt.

I think they have to work harder to put out roots into the soil & therefore they can withstand a bit more stress later in life.........a bit like us really.....! ;)

:) Hattie :)

Latest posts