Mint looks scabby! What's up?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting!

I see those plant bugs all the time, @journey11 .

It has been perplexing - do they cause problems or not? Looks like they do.

Steve

From what I read, it seems they pierce the leaf, insert something that liquefies the plant material, then suck it back out. It is supposed to be mostly an aesthetic problem, but I wouldn't want to eat those leaves after that. :sick

The only two diseases they mentioned that mints can get is verticillium wilt and rust, but I would wonder if the bugs could potentially transmit it? The article did not say.

Oh, and they overwinter their eggs on there. I would think pruning the mint back and burning it would help reduce their numbers. I have always pruned back my greek oregano after it blooms so that it won't make seed and also it looks nicer. Perhaps I was doing a good thing then.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pruning the plants would probably be terrible news for the plant bugs.

They might have to catch a freight outta town or starve. Also, they'd be easier to hit with a spray.

Mint has lots of energy in the roots to send up new growth.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 and @digitS' Thanks. I think you have solved the mystery. Good news for hubby who will use it that way. Ugh. I plan to cut it all off. There is a LOT of it. Spray the remaining stems and hope the new growth looks better. (I have seen the nasty bugs, did not see too many, but it is dense in there.)

Latest posts