mints....

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love the Corsican mint too, it is a small and compact little leaves. I used it in my rock garden in Houston, but it would suffer in the heat without enough watering.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love Corsican mint, too, but it doesn't love my zone 6a garden. My mother has had trouble with it, too, until she put it up on the rock wall near the garage - great big heat sink up there, so it's probably a zone warmer.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I'm so glad someone else loves Corsican mint. Yes it is a problem to keep over winter.

Reinbeau,

I will try your Mother's solution & try it up in the stones by house is built on. I live in a wychert house. Wychert is a kind of clay which is mixed with straw & hair etc & is built up in 2ft increments & allowed to dry before the next 2ft is added. It is a very old technique. The foundations are large stones which are,even now, 2ft above ground level. In my experience Corsican mint is never going to be invasive! :D

I've just bought some Korean mint -- I have never grown that before!
As it is a small plant I will have to let it get larger before I start eating it! It looks quite different from the mints I know -- I will have to do a bit more research on it's needs & how to use it. I have to admit it was a bit of an impulse buy from Jekka's Herb Farm!!! :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bbhorse :frow

My house is a real oddity --it is one of 6 cottages that were built of wychert for the estate farm workers in the late 1920's. The then owner of the estate used the wychert clay & chestnut beams from his own land to keep the costs down. They are the last wychert houses to be built in England.

I had always fancied living in a wychert house from the time I moved out of London. I love the look of the old buildings but they are SO DARK inside & as I suffer from SAD that would be torture for me. Then thanks to a friend I discovered this group of houses which, Thanks to an enlightened 1920's owner were built with much larger windows & higher ceilings. Luckily one was for sale so I snapped it up & here I am.....!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I have just had another delivery of herbs: :ya

Ginger Mint
Basil Mint
Bowles' Mint

Oregano Kent Beauty
Origanum Za'attar - Middle East Oregano
Costmary

I also got a Sea-kale plant in the same parcel (Crambe maritima)

I had never heard of Basil Mint; the other two I have grown before! :D

Now I have to see if I have any pretty pots to pot them in as a lot of them will have to come inside for the winter.

Latest posts