Missing the Parsnips this Year

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
(LINK) A Pairing of Starches

First year in quite a few with no 'nips.

No leeks . . . can't think of any excuses either.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love my parsnips. But have had no luck growing them. My late Father-in-law always had big crop he would share. :) I miss him. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have never eaten parsnips of leeks either. There's leeks in the store, don't remember seeing parsnips. Might have to try some of those leeks. I bet they should grow through the fall/winter here. Do they like cool weather? Since ya'll are talking about them and I know where ya'll live, leeks and parsnips might uproot themselves and hitchhike to ya'lls house!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leeks are a surprisingly mild and tender onion, given what they look like.

I can't tell if Red doesn't miss parsnips because she has no intention of eating them or that she always grows them, without a missed year . . .

Parsnips can be incredibly sweet. More so than carrots and that isn't to everyone's taste. I just put more with them if they are sweet sweet. Pasta sounded good!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't tell if Red doesn't miss parsnips because she has no intention of eating them or that she always grows them, without a missed year . Steve

Never missed grow'n 'em. Never missed cook'n 'em. Never missed eat'n 'em. I don't do parsnips.

Actually I have used them way back when I bought assorted "soup" vegetables all in one bag. Sort of tasted like more potatoes once the soup was ready to eat. And I did grow them in my very first garden. Despite my dream of the "Miracle of Potash", they didn't get very big and DH didn't like them. It's been nigh onto 44 years since that experience.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried growing parsnips a few times, no luck growing the edible part of the plant to any good size. We have tried eating one before; Ma made mashed parsnips as an alternative to potatoes, the only bad part is she forgot to cook it. It wasn't very appetizing, haven't tried them since.

I have not tried growing or eating leeks. As with most edible Alliums they taste like onions, leaves may be used too. I'm sure you could grow leeks down there during the cool months. Parsnips... I'm not so sure.

Your father-in-law is up in heaven looking over your family and garden Carol. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to search for what a parsnip was. I've seen those in grocery stores and wondered what they were for.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
may be an acquired taste but one I have. They are really hard to sprout. I haven't grown them for a while because of that. May have to try again. So many things, so little time (to weed that is) truth plenty of room.........

Latest posts