Mobile Home Goddess

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
She's a mother.....she has had to learn to use other body parts while raising kids :lol:
And a farmer. Small farmers become experts at making do with what they have handy.
DH always wants to do things "the right way". I am the one who comes up with what he calls a "Farmer solution". Nevertheless, my way is often used to finish a job without waiting for FedEx or a trip to town.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My way is to do it myself usually. I had to learn it all from the School Of Hard Knocks..as a military wife for 15 years. If I didn't so it, it didn't get done. We didn't have the $$ to spend on repairs or repairmen ....or buy new parts or equipment.
Yep. I totally have done the foot thing as an extra hand/arm :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She's a mother.....she has had to learn to use other body parts while raising kids :lol:
How many times have us Moms balanced a baby on our hip while cooking supper? :gigYou reminded me of something......

I was a purchaser for a garbage company and often had to go to Houston for parts when a truck was down. Some parts have an exchange, trade in old part for new rebuilt part. (or pay from $500 to $1,000 more) A Mack truck went down out on route, the mechanic had me go out in the field to get the turbo and go to Houston for another one. A turbo out of a Mack truck is heavy, just in case you didn't know......I pulled up in front of the shop, dropped the tailgate of the pick up and dragged the turbo towards me. I balanced it on my hip, waltzed into the shop, gave my hip a swing and slung the turbo up on the counter. The look on those men's faces was priceless. :lol: "Uhhhh, I would've got a cart and got that for you" stammered one of them. I replied in my slow drawl, "Oh honey, that's what God gave women hips for-totin' babies and turbos."

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I actually worked assembly at a Caterpillar plant from 2008-10'. We had turbos on engines. The yacht engine turbos are huge!
I love your answer to the guys comment btw :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked at Fairbanks Morse and picked up a diesel engine with one finger -- after having set a crank case on someone's lap -- talk about big, these engines powered battleships and airplane carriers. I ran the 30' crane when the regular driver was on vacation.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got a truck coming in the morning to pick up our 12'x24' portable building and haul it to our new place. It is on the land we sold, so we have to "move out" from there too! Have spent the last 2 days cleaning it out. It became a catch-all for stuff we weren't using. I dragged stuff out of there that hasn't seen the light of day in a 'coons age. I made 4 trips yesterday.

A couple of friends came to help and brought their truck today. I was so glad they showed up, there were several heavy items that I couldn't move by myself. Now the garage is crammed with crap. :\

Been trying to get this done for 2 months, but it has been raining. The ground is black gumbo clay. Spit on it and you will get stuck. It is a gooey mess when wet and cracked concrete when dry. Awful stuff. Anyway, it finally stopped raining for a week and a half, just enough for the top crust of the clay to get dry. We have a F250 diesel and usually can't get the truck up in there. I have been keeping horse feed here at the house and carrying the bucket in each day to feed them. The portable building is across the creek and up a slight hill. what was I thinking????

So we set the day to move the building and then it starts to drizzle. I got in yesterday with no problem, just got a running start and didn't hit the brakes. This morning in the continuing drizzle, I sat at the gate contemplating......called neighbor across street and he said if I got stuck, he would pull me out when he got off work with his big tractor. Ok, I got backup now.....I fed the horses and closed them up in a small lot. I spun tires, but made it to the building and backed up to the door. Our friends showed up and they made it in ok too, but he couldn't get backed up. His truck, a F150, was too light in the rear and it just skidded all over the place. So we loaded up my truck and I moved it, then we just had to carry stuff to his truck. I swept out the building and it is clean and ready to go.

It drizzled on us the whole time, it was cold and it wasn't helping the situation any. I started up my truck and goosed it. I turned sideways, praying I wouldn't hit a tree, or worse, slide down the embankment into the creek. We put in a 7' steel culvert and the sides are steep. I got to the curve, skidded sideways again, slinging mud all the way, straightened out and shot through the gate. And no, I am not a mud dogger. We paid a lot of money for that Lariat diesel and seeing if I can make it through a mud hole and tear up the truck, is not my idea of entertainment. Our friends waited until I made it out and the mud trail was clear, then he made it out too. Then we came to the house and unloaded.

The neighbor across the road is going to meet me in the morning and skid the building out to the road for the truck to pick up. There is no way that moving truck would be able to make it in there. All I needed was just a few more days of sunshine, but this is going like the rest of my saga has. If anything can go wrong, it will. :barnie RAIN! :tongue

So, tomorrow, the building is getting moved to our new place and set up. I have the car crammed full of boxes and all kinds of stuff. The guy that is going to put down the vinyl and set new toilets will meet me when I get up there and with any luck at all, he will have that job done by next weekend, the 14th, when we have box trucks and friends and family to clear us out of here. I am coming back tomorrow night and Saturday after DH gets off work we are going back with pickup and 20' flatbed trailer full. DH has 2 day laborers coming to string wire for the fence. Our neighbor up there has been setting the posts and using our tractor to clear for the fence. Ya'll wish us luck!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am EXHAUSTED Again. How tired you must be getting. You are simply going to drop and sleep for a week when this is done. An I AM very IMPRESSED with your driving skills. You should have filmed it! :)

Latest posts