Mold in seed starters... :/

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I have mold in seed starters, (the white kind) and my greenhouse isn't helping. Is there anyway to get the mold out of [the soil] with out seed heating mats? Could I put a heater in my greenhouse? :confused: This is the worst seed starting year... with $40 worth of seeds in birds that broke into my greenhouse earlier this winter. Thanks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have used too much water. Let the top of the soil dry out. Bottom heat may help. Mix bleach and water in a spry bottle and lightly spray the soil avoiding your seedlings. My guess is 1/6 ratio. You can also use hydrogen peroxide as an alternative also 1/6. I cannot imagine that in zone nine that you need added heat. Try a fan on the seedlings for ventilation.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's probably all good advice!

Can you risk getting them outdoors?! Bird netting? Chickens? Sparrows?

When mold shows up on the soil mix, I get in a hurry to move plants out in fresh air. Some unfiltered sunlight will help but the seedlings may still be ultra-tender and not be able to take much.

Who would have thought mold would be such a problem given your location?

Steve
... has wondered if sulphur dust would "fix" a little mold problem.

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I never knew that too much cold could be possible where I live too! I definitely will do the hp/water, I don't trust myself with bleach :he ( I have too many ruined clothes lol) @catjac1975
I put them in a lot of sunlight and fresh air, but it only does so much. You would not believe how much mold and mushrooms live here @digitS' !

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I took a toothpick and kinda dug it off lol. i have window greenhouses from walmart and noticed it. i put ACV in my spray bottle i use to water and took the top off every now and then. seems to be working. now if only my seedlings would survive the transplant into small pots.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It hasn't hurt them so far. plus i put like half a tbsp to a big spray bottle so its like 1 part per million compared to the quarter tsp of antibiotic per qt in my chicks drinking water

Latest posts