Monarch Watch

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody seen this?

http://monarchwatch.org/

Its a REALLY big deal they are in crisis. The total number of milkweed plants has fallen dramatically. Its really easy to become a way station for them. Websites full of the information and would be a good excuse to plant some more!

Check it out please

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The grassy areas in the middle of the highways and on the shoulders of the highways in east Texas are planted in milkweed plants. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not read much of the info on the site - will go back to it when I have time - but, don't they migrate along certain routes?? I thought that most of it happened along the west coast and down the 'middle' of the country?? Would it be of any help for me (in VA) to plant milkweed?? I'm sure that my local butterflies would enjoy it - but would there even be a monarch within 500 miles??

Just askin'

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monarchs are facing a double pronged threat. Those who normally fly through the Midwest are being eliminated by the widespread use of Roundup in that area which kills the milkweeds they depend on. Those on the Western route through California are protected by law but their Wintering grounds in Mexico are being decimated by illegal logging there.
I plant milkweed in my garden every year for them but I see fewer and fewer of them each year. Here's one on a milkweed I planted.
6858_monarch_caterpillar.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well you just made me feel better!

I had some milkweed show up in my flower garden this year and just decided to leave it. I'm glad I did and I hope some Monarchs happen buy. I'll have to check and see if there are any signs of them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have milkweed that I have purposely left alone. I haven't seen any monarchs this year, but I think it is still early for us. Any little thing I can do for them, is my pleasure!

Latest posts