Moon and Stars Watermelon

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been looking at watermelon varieties, and I think I might try the moon and stars. Has anyone here grown or had these? Do I grow these in a sandy soil, and are they easy to grow?:tools

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
I tried them last year...without success. Vines never even developed.
Wow, that would be disappointing! My hubby loves watermelon! He wants something different than what you'd see in the stores here. Are there any sweet varieties that are easy to grow?

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't grown watermelon yet, but there was one that I think was called something like "baby sweet" or something like that. They were like a miniature watermelon, I thought that would be real sweet... split it in half and use a melon baller and you've got instant breakfast :)

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I haven't grown watermelon yet, but there was one that I think was called something like "baby sweet" or something like that. They were like a miniature watermelon, I thought that would be real sweet... split it in half and use a melon baller and you've got instant breakfast :)
We grew "Sugar Baby" last year. They were about the size of a cantaloupe and were sweet and juicy. They were not as high yeilding as our other melons though.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gonzo & The Peeps said:
boggybranch said:
I tried them last year...without success. Vines never even developed.
Wow, that would be disappointing! My hubby loves watermelon! He wants something different than what you'd see in the stores here. Are there any sweet varieties that are easy to grow?
Didn't mean to discourage you trying them....cause, most likely, it was "gardener error" that caused my failure. Way too many people grow the moon and stars with great success not to try them. In fact, I still have a few seeds left and I would be happy to send you some to try, if you would like.....just 'PM' me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are so beautiful and unique, I am going to try them someday too...(this year I am using up the last of my Crimson Sweet seeds--we love Crimson Sweet). I just wondered if they are as tasty as they are pretty? Anyone here ever eaten one??

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about those! We did some back 6 or 8 years ago, and they did fine. The melons were small, when looked at from the perspective of commercial watermelons, but that's great for us. They were about muskmelon (commercial cantaloupe) sized. And the foliage was beautiful.

Thanks for the reminder! We'll look for these next weekend to plant in the front yard area.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
They are so beautiful and unique, I am going to try them someday too...(this year I am using up the last of my Crimson Sweet seeds--we love Crimson Sweet). I just wondered if they are as tasty as they are pretty? Anyone here ever eaten one??
I am doing the Crimson Sweet again this year as well. I got seeds, might as well use 'em! We sure doing like melon here.

I think you should go ahead and try those Moon and Stars... you'll regret not trying since you seem to have your heart set on them. :D