Moonflower

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can grow it in your Moon garden.
Just before last frost you can start them indoors.
Being Ipomoea it don't like it's roots disturbed. So you will want to be careful when moving them out into the garden.

It is a vine! A fast growing vine! It should grow to about 12 to 15 feet for you in a season. That is a guess of course. I don't think I will be able to collect much seed this season, but next year I will have lots of them!

I guess you could start them in a pot them move it out when ready, but it grows fast and wants to go up! Not like some vines that will hang down, it wants to wrap around something and grow upward.

I found my seeds at Home Depot. If you wish I can pick up some for you if you don't have them up there!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Happy to report my Moonflowers are still growing strong.
They seem to fine with the change in daylight hours.

It would be gret if I could keep them growing all winter.

100_8385.jpg

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is great. Since it should be forming a good tuber then even if it goes semi-dormant, I bet you will have this one for a long time to come! It is not an annual, but it is frost tender!

Save those seeds!

Ron :ya

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
That is great. Since it should be forming a good tuber then even if it goes semi-dormant, I bet you will have this one for a long time to come! It is not an annual, but it is frost tender!

Save those seeds!

Ron :ya
Cool Ron, Wow were is everyone?

My keyboard is giving me fits here. I notice a lot of mistakes in my typing.

I have a few going and a few packs of seeds for spring time.

I was thinking of starting some in pots now. thinking that they are not as fast a grower as the morning Glory is.

What is your thought?

I only have about 175 potted plants to deal with now whats a few more?

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you growing all those flats for yourself? Or have you considered supplementing your income by doing the Farmer's Market? Online sales are possible too.

Even a Garage/garden plant sale would work if you advertise in Craigslist. Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching! LOL

I think that with your ability to grow such great tropicals that you would be able to find an outlet for them. I loved the way my Birthday tree arrived! I was like freaking out on the thick clear bags! Those are good bags! Thanks. :ya I would figure out more simple/cheaper shipping medium.

Awesome Moonflower! I like it!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Are you growing all those flats for yourself? Or have you considered supplementing your income by doing the Farmer's Market? Online sales are possible too.

Even a Garage/garden plant sale would work if you advertise in Craigslist. Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching! LOL

I think that with your ability to grow such great tropicals that you would be able to find an outlet for them. I loved the way my Birthday tree arrived! I was like freaking out on the thick clear bags! Those are good bags! Thanks. :ya I would figure out more simple/cheaper shipping medium.

Awesome Moonflower! I like it!

Ron
I would love to sell plants. I will have to get some very special plants to sell around here as I am in a tropical zone everyone else is doing the same thing!

The 175 potted plants are not seedlings, these are just all the legit container plants. I must have a hundred or so of the little cutting cups going.

Online sales would be the way to go.
I am not much of a salesman. I am better at closing a deal. ;)

I should put forth the effort to start learning about web publishing
and such. I am not sure were I should start? Perhaps I should ask Rob for some direction on at least were to start.

On the nice bags. I have a large supply of them. They are very nice bags, but this was a special shipment! I wanted to be sure it was not trashed on it's way! But the air bag, was that a help? Did it hold the air and keep the box tight? That would be good to know!

The Moon flower is just for the landscape. But if someone was to want to buy one, why I would be more then happy to sell them one.

I have never been to the Farmer's Market! I have always thought of it as a big veg. bidding war for all the roadside dealers.

I should look into the legal end of selling them and go from there.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't remember an air-bag? Maybe there was? I tore into it in the greenhouse as the sun was setting. I barely saw the plants but carefully placed all the pieces out to breathe. Then I bundled the bags together. Sorry!

The Plants arrived without any harm! That much is true! :weight

Our Farmer's Market carries an Agriculture license and anyone wanting to sell just falls under that one license, but they agree that they will not sell elsewhere ...whatever that means!

It is $3 for a 10/10 ft space...

I liked that Etsy site, did you see those airplants? Since 2008 that seller has had over 300 sales. I think that is awesome.

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
I don't remember an air-bag? Maybe there was? I tore into it in the greenhouse as the sun was setting. I barely saw the plants but carefully placed all the pieces out to breathe. Then I bundled the bags together. Sorry!

The Plants arrived without any harm! That much is true! :weight

Our Farmer's Market carries an Agriculture license and anyone wanting to sell just falls under that one license, but they agree that they will not sell elsewhere ...whatever that means!

It is $3 for a 10/10 ft space...

I liked that Etsy site, did you see those airplants? Since 2008 that seller has had over 300 sales. I think that is awesome.

Ron
I did look at that site and was suprised how many different Airplants there are. I need to look into getting set up with Etsy.
I know others here sell on there. Maybe they would give me some pointers about it. Please?

I need to look into the farmers market and see how that works here.

As to the air bag, I put everything in the box and put a bag in there closed up the box as much as I could then filled the bag with air and tied it off. When I shook the box nothing moved at all. I was just wondering if it held air the whole trip. No big deal, it was just an experiment.

Joe

Latest posts