More really amazing stuff

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might......... I went from working 10-12 hours a day in an environment that changed constantly to quitting, staying home and taking care of my 89 year old mother whose idea of a "big" day is to go to the post office and WalMart in the same day. :/ She is in too good of health to go to a nursing home, but I can't leave her alone for very long. She is mentally sharp, but at the same time, parts of her mind are gone and will never come back. She expects a full meal for lunch and supper and believes leftovers to come direct from Satan. She has never been much for conversation and is utterly disintrested in what I like anyway. I live on a small city lot, which I refer to as "my cell." I garden in the front yard (shade in back yard and big dogs) and have a coop and run in the back yard for my chickens. I have doubled my efforts in the garden and got some more chickens. I call it "decorating the walls of my cell." :lol:

We also have 16 acres a few miles from town and 3 horses, a mule and a donkey. I rarely get to ride anymore. I go there long enough everyday to throw feed out for them and most times, mom is waiting in the car. We had some of it cleared and got a few acres cleaned up with a bulldozer. I crave burn piles. I was able to get some giant bermuda seed planted last spring and now will have a pretty good stand of grass this summer on about 3-4 acres. I just have to shake my head and sigh when I look at all the work to be done out there. It drives me nuts.

Lump all this together and toss in weeks and weeks of gray, cold, rainy, gloomy weather. Then add in "house arrest" and my mom. :) Stir in hours and hours of Fox News blaring from her room, then my DH just HAD to go and show her how to use the TV remote in the den. :he Thanks a LOT sweetie! And really, I like Fox News, but not all day long. Of course, the big event of the garbage truck coming by twice a week is exciting and does a lot for my mental health. :lol:

So..........yeah........maybe I DO have an idea.........

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If you need more excitement, bay, have a well-meaning relative give your mom a cell phone! it will provide her with endless amusement watching you try to be patient while explaing how it works for the umpteenth time. I may forgive my SIL for that someday! :duc

Anyway, sending you hugs and prayers from snowy Amarillo!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any one taking care of their elderly parent is a saint in my eyes. If there is meals on wheels in your area it may take some of the cooking burden off of you. Getting help for your own sanity is a must. There should be respite available to you. When the hurricane was coming my Sis and brother in law put his mother in a nursing home for a week so she would not be without power. She was mad and did not understand, In her mind she is doing everything for herself. She is back in her home with full time care, and family helping out. Check into your local services for a bit of help. Good luck.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I dunno about where you live, but here we have several "adult day care" centers where you can take a person for a few hours or a day, as your schedule suits. Maybe this would give you a little time to yourself? It would drive me crazy too to have that kind of room with so much potential, and not be able to get to it to do something with it.

Hugs
Mickey

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertcat said:
If you need more excitement, bay, have a well-meaning relative give your mom a cell phone! it will provide her with endless amusement watching you try to be patient while explaing how it works for the umpteenth time. I may forgive my SIL for that someday! :duc

Anyway, sending you hugs and prayers from snowy Amarillo!
She gave up her cell phone, she never used it anyway. I get the confusion when she turns on the computer. She used to be a whiz, but now every banner ad that says CLICK HERE takes her far far away. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 and Mickey328, she would be deeply offended if I took her to a day care. She plays a domino game with her friends at church every Friday for 3 hours. It ain't much, but at least it's something. And for her meals, I bought plastic divided plates with lids and freeze leftovers to make her a frozen dinner. She's suspicious, but so far it is working. :lol:

Today I transplanted 4 blueberry bushes and dug grass and weeds out of a new bed I am preparing for planting. Dirt therapy is so good for me. :watering I just make the most of it. Yesterday a friend came over and I taught her how to make bread. We made dinner rolls, french bread and whole wheat bread. It was a lot of fun.

Latest posts