Mountain Ash Looks Sick?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 2 Mountain Ash trees in my yard, planted close together. One looks fine, the other looks sick. Just now I weeded around it. I recall reading that they don't do well competing with weeds, but the healthy one has just as many weeds around it.

The sickly one got hit with a late freeze a few years ago, whereas the one right by it didn't. Must have been a different microclimate. It's always been a bit weaker than the one by it, but not this sickly looking. It has berries on it, but they are dried up... The healthy one has no berries.

Trying to decide whether it is underwatered or overwatered. I would think they'd get the same amount of water, but maybe not.

What is your best guess?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It WAS lack of water. I poured 4 gallons on it, and it looks so much better. So weird that two trees growing right together like that could act so differently, getting the same amount of water. One is thriving, the other was nearly dead from thirst. Bizarre! Glad it perked up, though.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should deep water trees at least once a month. Trees that have to compete with turf grass will often not thrive if they must rely on lawn sprinkling for their water needs.
I would run a hose at a trickle under the tree canopy for a good 24 hours at least once a month.
Glad your tree responded favorably and perked up.

I deep water my trees starting in July and going through October, and sometimes November if we're having a dry fall.

Latest posts