moving cedar trees

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hi all,
i have several small cedar trees in our woods.they are around 6in to 1 ft.i wanted to move them out of the horse pasture to a safer location and hope to one day use them for christmas trees for the kids.i have no idea what type they are but i live in middle georgia(zone 7/8).we don't have many types that will grow here.
when can i move them and any other suggestion would be grateful.

thanks

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi dinahmoe,

Without seeing photo's, I would hazard a guess that they are Eastern red cedar, which is actually a juniper. Juniperus virginiana. Google that and see if it looks like the trees you have.

Considering the size they are now I would say you could move them anytime other than late spring through early fall. Late fall is always a good time to try and transplant trees from existing locations, but since these trees are so small I think if you get deep enough to avoid too much damage to the tap root they will transplant just fine. Is supposed to be a fairly mild winter in your location this year. 12 -15 inches should be ample depth. They are fairly slow growing trees and are not really grown for Christmas trees AFAIK. :) Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up with cedar trees as Christmas trees. After I got to a certain age, it was my job to go to the pasture and cut one. I found the best ones as far as looks and balance were the big ones. The top was good for a Christmas tree and we used the bottom section as a fence post. I know the wood was not as good as cedar heartwood for a fence post, but they worked for a replacement post.

Cedar grows too slow to make it in the commercial Christmas tree market, but that smell still reminds me of Christmas. My wife, who grew up with those commercial trees, can't even imagine a cedar as a Christmas trees. Different traditions for different people. Since she is the wife, guess who's traditions win.

When I transplant an evergreen I do it when the tree is actively growing. They do not go dormant like a deciduous tree. I transplanted some cedar trees the size you are talking about a few years ago in the middle of summer. It took a lot of water but they all lived and eventually thrived. The water is really important. Don't try to move more than you can keep watered.

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i went and researched them and i do think they are red cedar.they are only 6-12 inches now so i will move them to a better location.since they take so long to grow i may plant a few fast growing trees for christmas trees and let these be for the birds.

thank everyone for your help.
D

stone

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I find that cedar trees grow pretty fast when they get enough light. Left in the woods, they will grow poorly.

6 inch trees will be easy to move, I move them all the time. The important thing is in not planting them in the middle of turf, but instead, try a garden setting, and mulch them with woodchips.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I move all mountian red cedar trees into the goat pen, as food! Everyone in my house suffers from cedar fever, though. Here it gows like a weed, but the goats love it.

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I never heard of cedar fever? :hu A nice tree overall, but not a friendly tree. Not one you would want to work around, or under. Prickly little things. Some enjoy the smell of the wood. I used to cut them for posts and rail, as well as cut the smaller ones and split them for a kind of stockade type fence. After having used a drill press to make holes and a bandsaw to split rails, the smell kind of looses its........ reminds me of a hampster cage now!
Did make a dandy free Christmas tree and when the holidays were over I would cut the top off and drag it down the chimney to clean the flue.

henry

Latest posts