Moving to DC

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well to give some background. I graduated with my M.S. from Montana State last year and moved to Slidell, LA. Unfortunately, I bought a house. I thought I was doing good and now I wish I hadn't because today I got the call. I have been cleared to work for a government agency in DC. Now I am trying like heck to lease or sell the house, which is not that easy in this economy. This is the job of my dreams you know like secret agent stuff.

Anyone got any advice for living in DC. Ideally I would like to live in Springfield, VA but Woodbridge is more affordable. I am just dreading the COMMUTE!!!!
Hopefully this will work out. I have went to school for 6 years and I want this job.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to try to rent it out but it feels weird. Like I want to be able to move on. Hopefully, I can find someone who is willing to rent the house that will be responsible and not destroy it or be late on the rent.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... great and poo at the same time!

I'm not a fan of living outside DC... its hell. I used to stay up there with friends for a few weeks for a party I did back in my college days. The commute was crap.

You'll like it if you love your job!

Just sorry you have to move after you've done everything you can to get ready for a garden at the new place. :/

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job offer. Good Luck on selling/renting your old house and finding new adventures in DC.

jackie

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Congrats on the job!! Maybe you can lease to own the house instead of renting it. My best friend did that with her house and the people took care of it because they knew it would be thier's one day. She tried renting but after hundreds of dollars of damage got tired of it. She had a lawyer draw up paperwork with all the details and they have never missed a payment and have been remodeling the house and improving the property alot. Hopefully you can sell and be done with it!! Good luck!!

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Well to give some background. I graduated with my M.S. from Montana State last year and moved to Slidell, LA. Unfortunately, I bought a house. I thought I was doing good and now I wish I hadn't because today I got the call. I have been cleared to work for a government agency in DC. Now I am trying like heck to lease or sell the house, which is not that easy in this economy. This is the job of my dreams you know like secret agent stuff.

Anyone got any advice for living in DC. Ideally I would like to live in Springfield, VA but Woodbridge is more affordable. I am just dreading the COMMUTE!!!!
Hopefully this will work out. I have went to school for 6 years and I want this job.
Congrats as well!

I have to say though that Northern Virgnia is one of the most congested parts of the US. We have family down there I lived there as a kid, and the sprawl and traffic jams are just incredible. In some ways it's worse than MA because SO many people commute every day to govt jobs in DC. Woodbridge is about an hour commute one way to DC I think.

Virginia is a beautiful place though and I'd still like to live there. The cost living is pretty high; its on par with the rest of the urban northeast.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to make frequent drives north to visit family...Syracus,NY, Hartford, CT, Boston, MA, North Conway, NH... Its been a couple years since my last drive. I always left around 9pm at night. I would get where I was going by 8:30-11am. All that so I would go through DC in the wee hours. Only way I could handle 95 is in the dark! :lol:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I AM STAYING. After applying to the agency for two years and waiting 8 months for the background check I said no. I didn't want to sell my time with my children. I don't want to go back to the cold. it is warm here I like warm.

Latest posts