mushroomer's in N.J?

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all:) First of all, if this is posted in the wrong spot I apologize...I have no clue where to post it:). I was wondering if there were any 'edible mushroom foragers from N.J? I have plenty of books on mushrooms but they NEVER show or tell you what 'state' they grow in..so I could be out looking for a mushroom that doesn't even grow here in south Jersey. If anyone could give me some names to use as a starting point, that would be great. I just need names and I will take all the precautionary measures. I only know of a few here, "hen of the woods" and another that an old farmer showed me and how to identify, but he only knew it as 'stump mushroom' lol any help would be greatly appreciated:) thanks...Craig

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh maybe I better clarify..I'm not talking about any psychedelic types! Maybe in my younger days I may have tried them...but I'm a little too old for any of that type of thing! lol

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just be very careful when looking for wild mushrooms. we've been having a lot of cases of mushroom poisoning in our area. also, try not to eat them uncooked, something in them lessens when they get cooked. i'll have to find the book i read that in to find out what chemical it is. think it was in one of my many cookbooks.

i am planning on growing my own portabella mushrooms this winter in the house. a little late to get them going in the yard, and with all the funky wild ones going crazy this summer i am leery that i could pick a wild one instead of a portabella growing in the same bed.

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yea I know what you mean,I think all the rain we've been having here in Jersey has brought out some CRAZY looking mushrooms that I've never even seen b4 (and I practically grew up in these woods!) There is probably not a day that goes by that me an my dog don't go out exploring new area's looking for different edible plants and taking pics of plants that I've never seen b4 and what not.Most plants are pretty forgiving and you can usually take a tiny piece (I'm not suggesting anyone else do this btw) anyway, usually if its bitter its most likely poisonous and not the one you thought it was! But I do know that you CAN'T do this with mushrooms (if it could only be that easy!). When it comes to mushrooms, even the couple I DO know,I still take spore prints,and even if they match up, I still cook them up and eat a tiny amount..then if I wake up the next morning..I know its safe to eat the rest:) Thank you for the response:) craig

Latest posts