mushrooms... who grows them and what kind?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
okay so I was just watching Cultivating Life on our local pbs and they are doing an entire show on mushrooms. I never realized there was so many kinds of mushrooms you can grow at home. It got me wondering if anyone here grows mushrooms and what kinds they grow.

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought a button mushroom kit for the first time this year. I started it about 15 days ago. when I got the kit it it says to level the bottom bag of compost mixture and add 3 or 4 cups of water to the second bag of dirt in a separate bowl then spread evenly over the compost mixture then cover with the plastic bag the compost is in and close the box. keep it in a room of I think it was around 70 degreese for 10 to 15 days. then check and see if a thread like mold is on top which I did yesterday and there is. Now I had to open the box take the plastic off and keep it in a draft free area at around 60 degreese for 7-14 days and little pin heads should start popping!

Its kind of a gross process because I am not a big fan of growing mold but I guess its all a part of the process when your growing a fungus! ;)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew some ****ake mushroom last moth and they did fabulous. At least the first round. They were some of the best I had ever had. The second round I did something wrong and the block got moldy and stinky. I threw it out. I would do it again definately.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would love to try it So far I have spent too much already on the garden, but maybe in a few months I can get one. I heard you can re-use the spores, something about after the mushrooms are gone, you take the spider-web looking stuff and put it in new dirt..... or something like that. I would have to read up on it again.

I think the kits are kindof expensive, but if you could plant them over, I would so jump on it! :ya I LOVE mushrooms!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those of you who are interested, I would recommend you visit the Fungi Perfecti website. They sell many indoor and outdoor kits and there are some instructions on the site too.

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
this winter I cut 10 logs (White oak is the best) and bought 300 plugs for 27.00 (that is with shipping) and started ****takes but I won't be able to tell you how they do for a few months but is looks good so far so Im happy. I will do it again net year. I got mine from mushroom people and they are a kit with wax and tags you can mark the logs and date them.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So is there a way to get them to keep coming back, or do you have to buy more plugs for them? It does seem kinda out of my price range if I have to keep buying the plugs or spores or whatever.

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
they say they fruit for as long as the logs keep there bark and stay solid about a year per inch log size I used about 4 to 6 inch logs and followed the directions for the plugs and they look like they are alive and growing the fungus they shoud be. I also tryed some in sawdust and its growing real well

Latest posts