Mushy pickles?

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried my hand at pickling cucumbers last year, but they turned out mushy. I don't want to make the same mistake this year. What could have made them mushy?

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My dill have done the same thing. Mine turn soft. I have heard that the vinegar has to be 5% acidity if not the pickles will be soft. Dill pickles are the only thing I can't seem to get right when it comes to canning.
I am going to try it again this year. I am about to give up on them.
Are your's sweet or dill?

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried dill last year. This year I bought Ball's pre-packaged pickling spices. All you have to add is vinegar. I'm at work right now, but I'll check the package to see what acidity of vinegar they ask for. I bought sweet and dill. Maybe we need to ask the Claussen people as to what their secret is for crunchy pickles:D

I did hear from one person that it is maybe because the cukes are over-ripe.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never found vinegar that wasn't 5%. I buy those big jugs of the white vinegar.

This year I've been using the pickling lime followed with the Low-Temperature Pasteurization Treatment. Everyone we've opened so far has been crisp. I know the lime must have something to do with it as the soaked cukes are brittle/stiffer when you pack.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/low_temp_pasteur.html

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I use Mrs Wages - so far so good.
Are your pickles crisp like the ones in the store?

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Are you fermenting them or just canning them in vinegar brine?

If you ferment first, add a grape or oak leaf to the bottom of the crock. It keeps them crisp.

I don't know if it would work for plain old canning. I would try a few both ways and report back, but the @#$*&% slugs ate my pickling cukes and they never recovered.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay mayb this is a silly question but I am going to ask it any way. When you can your pickles what type of cucumbers are you using? I have heard that there are pickles that are to be used for pickling and there are the regular cukes. Anybody know anything about this?
Thanks

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I only use pickling cucumbers for eating and canning pickles. They have smaller seeds and are never bitter, in my own dozen or so years of experience. I know that the skin of the pickling cucs is much different texture than "slicing" cucs. I've never heard of anybody making pickles with slicing cucs instead of pickling cucs.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They seem to be better than the ones I did last year when I followed the blue ball book.

Latest posts