Mutant radish

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Didn't know radish could be pest deterrent! How and what?
I'm not sure HOW... I guess the odor it gives off?? (lil help here?? LOL)

I got this book from the library and it said that radish is supposed to help keep Cowpea Curculio, Cucumber beetles, Harlequin bug, bean beetles, squash bugs, and stink bugs away. I dunno how TRUE it is... so I'm trying it. :-D They say Cat Mint is supposed to help keep squash bugs away too... I DID plant some.. but the problem is... I don't know what it looks like so I may have pulled it as a weed... :lol:

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Didn't know radish could be pest deterrent! How and what?!
At my class they mentioned it. Radishes help mask the smell of cucumber plants. I'm guessing it works the same way for other plants too.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also read that this past year and have both normal radish I have let seed and rattail radish. The article I read actually stated the rattail was a better insect repellent. I figure even if it doesn't repel any insects my chickies will love cleaning it up, and it does draw massive pollinators, and looks pretty to me in the garden.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For those letting your radish flower for pest control, you can eat the seed pods. I tried this last night, I was harvesting the pods from the rat tail radish I planted and was noticing how big and succulent the normal radish pods were so I harvested them too and stir fried them for supper, they were very tasty. I think they would be good in salad also, and am going to see about pickeling them. Harvest them when good and succulent, but not large and tough.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My radish look mighty huge lately.... LOL I have been resisting the urge to pull one and eat it... but with as big as it is.. it probably wouldn't taste all that good!