My 1st Attempt at Rooting

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After reading all the posts about rooting I decided to try this myself.

Actually what got me started was a little trip I took last Friday. What I saw was a many areas with Burning Bush's
(?) in full fall color. I stopped at a nursery on the way home and priced them, WOW, $58 to $68 each. With what I figure we'd need, way more than I'm willing to spend!!!

A neighbor up the road has a few so I asked if she cared if I took some cuttings. She said go ahead.

I haven't got back to get those but I did have some other things I've been wanting to try, so here go's.

I bought this a while back and I hope it is a good rooting harmone. Active ingredient is Butyric Acid
DSCF0594.jpg

These are my 1st cuttings: Pink & White Mums, Rose of Sharon, Mini Rose and a Climbing Rose
DSCF0593.jpg

And here they are all tented up
DSCF0595.jpg

Now I guess I'll just wait!!!

THANX RICH

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
having never rooted anything except pussywillows, can you do mums that way?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That should do the job but it is meant more for transplanting.

Root Tone will give better results, it don't have frt. in it but instead it has a fungicide to help protect the stem.

One little container has lasted me years. Well worth the money when you think of the hundreds of plants made with using it.
You could fill that big greenhouse and still have some powder left over to make more plants.

How you cut the stem is the most important part!

Joe

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
That should do the job but it is meant more for transplanting.

Root Tone will give better results, it don't have frt. in it but instead it has a fungicide to help protect the stem.

One little container has lasted me years. Well worth the money when you think of the hundreds of plants made with using it.
You could fill that big greenhouse and still have some powder left over to make more plants.

How you cut the stem is the most important part!

Joe
The only place I could find the stuff you use was on the net and it was awful expensive with the shipping. The active ingredient in each is the same

We'll see how this does, I cut the stems at on a large bias and scratched the outer layer of skin/bark off.Then I dipped the bare end of the cutting in this liquid. The pots I put them in sat in a mixture of this overnight to moisten the soil mixture.

Should they be kept in a dark area or in sunlight?

THANX RICH

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok Dickie... I think that is AWESOME!

Now here;s my issue.... I do NOT know what I am doing, I have tried and failed at rooting constantly. So this is what I am going to do. I am going to take your lead and try to do what you are doing.

I have a few lantana I am trying and I'm going to go cut some hydrenga I am going to try.

I want to do larger plants and bushes so I can start filling in some bigger spaces around here. Wish me luck too!

Maybe this will be the official 1st attempt thread? :hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
P.s. - While I'm thinking of it... how long does a plant need to take root well enough and strong enough to transplant?

Though I will probably keep these guys potted until spring, what is the best option!?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
P.s. - While I'm thinking of it... how long does a plant need to take root well enough and strong enough to transplant?

Though I will probably keep these guys potted until spring, what is the best option!?
I don't have the answer to that, but I would guess that if or when the leaves look like they are coming back around, then they are taking root.

I noticed some clear jars on the counter this morning, I think I'll confiscate them and when I try the burning bush cuttins I'll use these. That way I should be able to see any rooting taking place.

Good luck!!!

THANX RICH

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
The only place I could find the stuff you use was on the net and it was awful expensive with the shipping. The active ingredient in each is the same

We'll see how this does, I cut the stems at on a large bias and scratched the outer layer of skin/bark off.Then I dipped the bare end of the cutting in this liquid. The pots I put them in sat in a mixture of this overnight to moisten the soil mixture.

Should they be kept in a dark area or in sunlight?

THANX RICH
I think if you keep everything very clean, tools , pots, soil, and the cutting then the fungicide may not be needed.

But you are growing in a enclosed zone! This can be great but also a small problem can become huge fast! Take Aphids for example, outdoors not to bad! Aphids enclosed with a limited amount to feed on without natural predators will eat a greenhouse alive in no time if left unchecked.

Most greenhouse problems start at the door! People coming in from a garden, guests, ect. The shoes bring in the most problems.

Back to the cuttings, the same will hold true with Fungus.
Not all "Fungus Amongus" is good and will kill all cuttings around an infected cutting!

As far as light, I would give them as much indirect Sun as possible!

Vfem; Your question there could be a whole tread in it self!

There is no way to tell how long it will take to set roots, there are just to many variables to answer!

Joe

Latest posts