My 2009 garden (update Pics July)

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hey there greensage.. I have a question for you.. I see you have trees planted within your garden.. how is that working for you with roots and You get a lot of sun so that might just help your garden out some..

I planted a bunch of fruit trees and put some raised beds under them but IM thinking that they might be a problem later..

just wondering.. we get lots of VERY hot and blazing sun like you do.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok here is a link to the thread http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24932&p=4 Post 40 Bodyflight is the one that came up with the Dog food bag version of the Topsy Turvy. :clap Her bags are a bit more attractive as she used Pink Duct Tape. But we do plan to put out another tomato, a couple of peppers and a cucumber this way also.

Green Sage I reallly do like the garden layout you have. Very nice :ya

Liberty we all have the just starting photos that is great, this way the progress shows as you go and as it grows :clap sounds like you have a nice plant lineup to start a wonderful garden :tools

Well fellow gardeners I must get outside the sun is shining :coolsun :ya
Have a great gardening day :watering

:happy_flower Karan :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome Karenleaf!... I love how alive your garden looks. I want so badly to try potatoes but I think I would be fooling myself during the summer and just causing them trouble. I could, however, try potatoes when our 'Indian Summer' occurs; which is our second Spring, around September.

smom1976, My trees are very young and I have not noticed any surface rooting. It could be that anything that wants to grow here has to set deeper roots to reach the water table. The ones in the center area are apples. The trees within the fenced area (which is my chicken run) are Peaches, Plums, and Almonds.

My entire garden is a full sun area, but after 4 p.m. the shade sets across the entire property. On the west side of the house there are two gigantic 70-year-old pecan trees. The shade covers the entire house and all of the back and side yards.

I finally have cucumber, melon, and watermelon sprouting !!!!

Not too long now and everything will look full and growing.

Ron

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have done the Topsy turvy thing on my own and I received one as a gift. I am not really impressed with either. My own are in plastic coffee buckets and the plants are flowering but very small. The actual turvy containers are only a couple weeks old but doing ok. The plants are already turned upward. Not sure how that helps. I like the feed bag idea. I have many I have been recycling into shopping bags. The problem for me is hanging them, I have nothing sturdy enough for the larger containers. As it is, I have the Topsy turvy on my kids swing set. They are not to happy about it. :idunno What can I do??

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Went out this morning and took a few new photos.

Here you can see the scarecrows buckets are just about full of water. And that is just from Friday. You can also see how the Chard and lettuce have almost doubled. :woot

5713_p1040356.jpg

And here is our fence garden and behind it are DH's bucket potatoes Each of these have increased in size as well. :clap

5713_p1040367.jpg

We took some of the salad mix and a few spinach leaves and had them on our sandwiches at lunch :p soo yummy

I have more lettuce seed to start more so I will sow some tomorrow.
I planted 3 Basil inbetween the tomato plants and some oregano too.
:watering

Greensage try planting 1 potato cutting in a 5 gal bucket with drain holes drilled in it. it maybe your answer, it's worth a try.:idunno :rainbow-sun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

It has now been a month since I started this posting. I thought it might be nice to share my updated pictures.

I apologize that my angle might be a bit off and the sun is really bright out there. I also want to point out that there are no chilies or peppers in my garden because they just did not show from seed. I am not sure what happened (old seed, planted too deep, washed out from heavy watering/rain). It is all a guessing game at times. I will be reseeding here shortly. Even lost most of my spinach, lettuce, and my carrots. Only one broccoli sprouted.

At any rate, I think the rest speaks for itself. I especially like the way the cucumbers are coming along.

cucs
34eqa85.jpg

rwmooz.jpg

qn4up0.jpg

qprkms.jpg

I also wanted to include my daylilies too because they are in their zenith. I like this particular variety because they stand tall (nearly 4ft).
xc39co.jpg

Here is my one (only one) of the Love, Lies, and Bleeding that the chickens missed. It is already looking lovely. This plant should double this size before August/Sept. Beside this is my Ruella (Mexican Petunia). I sure wish I knew someone with pink Ruella to add to all this pretty blue.
idrebc.jpg

OK, that is it for now. I will post again in about a month's time.

Ron

Karan:

Oh wow, I am sorry I missed your latest posting Karan. Your garden looks fabulous. How fun! I love all the flowers mixed in there.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think everything is filling out to be GORGEOUS!!! You should be so proud... not everything you plant always works out, but I think you have a great ratio!!!!! :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you.

It is funny, every time I take pictures, you can clearly see the orchard area (chicken wire fencing) that my chickens roam in; but, you never see a chicken. Someone must think I am hiding my chickens!

You can see the chicken coop next to my old truck (Olivia), and their flight is completely covered by Virginia Creeper. So they, chickens, have a very interesting flight that is completely covered by vines.

I thought it might be good to prove I have chickens in there LOL :p

ve97rk.jpg

my little Mille Fleur has recently lost her tail, she looks silly without it; otherwise, all the rest are cochins, and only one rooster (black roo named Buck).
hune3q.jpg

Ron

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GreenSage, I think your Garden is coming along very nicely. :clap :clap As vfem said we can't expect everything we plant to grow. I know I have had my share of not sprouting seed :tongue But you look to have some very lush growth in your garden.

I am soo glad to see someone else has Mexican Petuina :ya I had a big pot of it given to me 4 years ago. I did not know what it was till last year. All I knew was it was tall and it would give me some very pretty purple/blue blooms. I put it out on the porch during this time of the year and take it in about October. Last year I started some new plants off of the Mother plant and intend to start more. Do you trim yours? It looks much more full and controled than mine. I had been wondering if I needed to top it. It is getting very tall. Any suggestions would be great.

I love your little Millie Fleur hen she is so pretty :love I had some eggs sent to me only 1 hatched and it didn't make it. :hit One of these days I will try to get some again, not this year though. I think they are soo pretty :love

Latest posts