My 2009 garden (update Pics July)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again Karan,

Ruella is a very aggressive grower. It is best just put into the ground. All of my 'Mexican Petunia' is volunteer. The seedpods explode when you get them wet and the seeds go everywhere. They are prolific growers without any care or treatment.

Every season I wait until fall and then cut them clear to the ground.

Watch out, you might get a monster on your hands.

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there Texan,

Olivia is a 1966 F100. I found her on Ebay for $1500 eight years ago. She has been my daily driver ever since. She has a small block 302 in her.

The stepside shortbed is from a much older year. I am assuming it could even be from a late 50s model.

The door panel indicates that (for that door at least) that she was suppose to be tan and white. :p

Here is the first picture I saw of her on ebay; I knew from one look that I was in love. I have since touched on the paint but only to retard the rust.

2131bb4.jpg

Take care, Ron

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ron, Thanks for the info on the Mexican Petunia. We have some very cold winter's here do you think it would survive outside? It was at -20 some nights this last winter. I am sure your winters are much milder than ours. I always bring it in the end of October. I think I will trim my taller mother plant and use the cuttings for new plants.

The truck is a true Jem ya got there :clap :love :clap

Oh here is my garden as of this past weekend.

Please excuse the newspaper we put it down to go under the wood mulch. That we will get as soon as it's dry enough to load it. We have been getting quite a bit of rain.

Happy Gardening

:happy_flower Karan :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Karan,

I think with any zone there are always those 'micro-environments' that we can create in our gardens. Like an area along the house on a southern facing direction probably can push your zone up a notch. Sidewalks (concrete) hold heat, and also mulching with a good few inches of leaf material can help reduce the effects of negative degree temperatures.

I would go as far to say that you should introduce your Ruella into the garden and if you lose it then I promise to send you a brand new batch. This is how much I am sure it will take over.

Ron

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Hi Karan,

I think with any zone there are always those 'micro-environments' that we can create in our gardens. Like an area along the house on a southern facing direction probably can push your zone up a notch. Sidewalks (concrete) hold heat, and also mulching with a good few inches of leaf material can help reduce the effects of negative degree temperatures.

I would go as far to say that you should introduce your Ruella into the garden and if you lose it then I promise to send you a brand new batch. This is how much I am sure it will take over.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I will do that but I believe I have plenty as I have a window box planter full and another pot. They are starts from the mother plant that is in a Huge pot now. But if I run into problems it is nice to know I have a friend with backup plants for me. :hugs

:happy_flower Karan :D

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, as soon as I saw Olivia, months back when you started this thread I thought: :love She adds a lot of character to your place. :)

Your garden is growing really well. I notice you have soaker hoses. I have been considering getting some . . . do you recommend them?

I just love your pergola too. Very nice.

Your love-lies-bleeding is about as big as the ones I grew last year got. Post a picture of them when they get huge! I can't imagine what they look like much bigger.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I am 10 days earlier now than when I took my last pictures. I really hate to be so antsy about getting pics out early, but tomorrow I am going to trample through the cucumbers and do a complete first harvest. There are 8 plants. I hate to think of the damage I will do.

So, here is my 2009 garden at month 3 minus 10. :p
2ps3tk0.jpg

I built a fence for my tomatoes. The walk along the tomatoes is a raised dirt level of about a foot, it is like the garden is in a pit.
qnr692.jpg

1196n37.jpg

2uz6r1t.jpg

my cucumbers (where I am going to trample lightly)
2yjt4p4.jpg

here is Millet Spray for my caged birds
155krjd.jpg

my beans, I am about a month from a good crop.
2rgmmvl.jpg

my tiny dill weed. I really needed these to be the Mammoths they were suppose to be. Oh well, perhaps these are next seasons seasonings.
nb5bw7.jpg

wow, what a journey, I am still trying to get carrots to take hold, they are showing up one at a time. My peppers are still deciding what state they are in. Corn is pretty, tomatoes are nice (I even had a fresh tomato this week).

Will post a pic later of the cucumber crop I yield tomorrow morning.

Ron

Latest posts