My 2012 Green Bean Garden-2013-post #48

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth don't go away again! Are you renting a house with a yard? At least you are able to grow something, can't keep a good gardener down.:weee I'm so happy that you are back! :weee

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm living in a studio apartment in the ghetto of santa rosa. there is a common garden here with beds. I got 5 beds this year. they average about 4 x 9 i loaded them with bags of decent soil, then amended them with store bought soil microbes then mixed in organic meal type fertilizers made by down to earth. these beds already had some soil in them. early on i saw a serious snail problem coming on so i got some sluggo and made it go twice as far as it said. it stopped most of them, and i guess all the slugs. mostly used it just outside each bed. I got ranch fencing and used my trusty lineman pliers...I have guillaine barre syndrome and neuropathy, plus the nerve to my left eye is only firing on 2 cylinders. So, sometimes i bribe someone to help me...like when i wrassled the chicken wire i used for the beans to climb on. It helps to make the beds too confounding for 2 legged varmints!(((this is the bad side of town.))) any ideas out there for yellow dry peas variety, and where to get some? i have speckle and brown seeded golden sweet, but am hoping to find a smooth, or mostly smooth yellow seeded dry pea. 3 of my beds will be ready to plant peas where the beans have finished.

I have missed some of you a lot

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is good to hear from you, you have been missed. I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition.

5 beds 4' x 9'. I've also moved to the city, to be near grandkids. All I have to work with is eight beds, 4' x 8' so you're not that far behind me. I dedicated five of those to beans this past spring and have three planted in beans for this fall. I tried to select ones that do well in the heat but many fall beans are struggling. The spring crop did pretty well, over nine pounds of beans in 15 varieties

Out of those 25 segregations I got from those outcrossed beans Russ sent me in 2016 I've managed to stabilize three. Most of the rest are still segregating every time I plant them.

For your viewing pleasure I'll show a shot of some I grew this spring. The ones not pictured are just more black and white ones. These are not final colors, they are the immature colors you get when you harvest them before they are fully cured. For example, that pink one at the top right dried a muddy brown. That black and brown one turned out mostly black. I thought this made a pretty picture.

Mixed Early Beans.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i am on my first year of growing out some peas garden friends sent to me, but i don't have any yellow peas in that mix. i do have some darker seeded types and at least one speckled type that gives excellent larger pods (crunchy, juicy and very edible). i can't say much yet about the others. i didn't eat too many of them. i have some white seeded types and so far not sure i have much in return from them. i really needed to plant a larger patch with more space between them all, but my plans got over ruled by an extra 20 tomato plants... heh...

PM me your address if you want me to send some samples - i'm always happy to share the wealth. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is good to hear from you, you have been missed. I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition.

5 beds 4' x 9'. I've also moved to the city, to be near grandkids. All I have to work with is eight beds, 4' x 8' so you're not that far behind me. I dedicated five of those to beans this past spring and have three planted in beans for this fall. I tried to select ones that do well in the heat but many fall beans are struggling. The spring crop did pretty well, over nine pounds of beans in 15 varieties

Out of those 25 segregations I got from those outcrossed beans Russ sent me in 2016 I've managed to stabilize three. Most of the rest are still segregating every time I plant them.

For your viewing pleasure I'll show a shot of some I grew this spring. The ones not pictured are just more black and white ones. These are not final colors, they are the immature colors you get when you harvest them before they are fully cured. For example, that pink one at the top right dried a muddy brown. That black and brown one turned out mostly black. I thought this made a pretty picture.

View attachment 36482

View attachment 36482
Those look real nice Ridge! Actually, they look a lot like mine. I get those golden almost dry pods sometimes too, these days picking beans reaching up or bending down, it's just, oh well its ripe enough. I notice those dry up just laid on the ground in the sun faster and better than inside. oh. the beds i put the most store bought microbes in produced more. "probiotic vegan meal based" fertilizers are for some reason cheapest, and also work best...it's cool to have lived to 2020 to see this

Latest posts