My Big Winter Project

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Replacing our 12'x32' deck with a 16'x32' deck. It's taking a lot longer than I planned.

The old one was really bad shape. Some of the posts rotted and sank. I used a chainsaw to cut through all the deck boards. I didn't listen to myself after repeatedly saying "Don't step on the cut boards". I went halfway through and was stuck for a little bit. I used my one free hand to pull off enough boards to let myself the rest of the way through.
H.jpg
I.jpg
J.jpg
K.jpg
E.jpg
M.jpg
P.jpg
C.jpg

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was working in lots of mud when I started building. it really slowed me down. I made my poles from reject, ground contact rated 2"x6"s from our laminated pole plant at work. (They are really picky. Most of their rejects are better quality than you could get at Home Depot.)

I put cross arms on the poles to hold the 2x12"s and a pry bar and wedge to get them at the right height. The 2"x2" with a screw in the end was what I lifted the end of the 2"x12"s and slide them onto the cross arms. The last pic is where I had to quit til next weekend.

D.jpg
E.jpg
F.jpg
H.jpg
J.jpg
K.jpg
L.jpg
O.jpg
P.jpg
T.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quite an undertaking. I know you will be glad to get the new deck finished so you and your family can enjoy it.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whew! I was hoping that wasn't holding up the house!

Glad you are OK (I've done things like that too!) and that it seems to be going smoothly.

With all that mud, I'd wonder if concrete footings for those piers would pay off in the long run.

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@freedhardwoods sure glad you did not get hurt falling partially through old deck It will be very nice when done.
I do dumb things like that all the time. Somehow I've never broke a bone in my life.

Quite an undertaking. I know you will be glad to get the new deck finished so you and your family can enjoy it.
What we'll enjoy most is being able to use the back door.

Already looks better, stronger and safer. Good work!
The old one was so bad, I was beginning to wonder if it was going to collapse when I walked on it.

Whew! I was hoping that wasn't holding up the house!

Glad you are OK (I've done things like that too!) and that it seems to be going smoothly.

With all that mud, I'd wonder if concrete footings for those piers would pay off in the long run.
The house was holding the deck up on the one end. I set the poles on 12" concrete "cookies" (see pic below) and poured one bag of concrete around the bottom of each pole. That will hold them in place until the dirt/mud/soup dries out and sets up.

Now THAT is a project.... and will be a great place for a chicken coop when you're done...
The new deck will be more versatile than the old one, but my wife doesn't want chickens. :idunno

D.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you weren't hurt when you fell through!

This is a good time of year for downtime, but probably not the most fun time to do outdoor projects.

The back of your house is set up exactly like mine. We have an 8x24' deck and I would love to expand it someday. Our house was put up on jacks when my neighbor owned it years ago and he built the nicest full size basement underneath. All that digging out made the layout of the backyard a little annoying though. Water likes to settle in that low center spot like yours seems to as well. We're hoping to have it graded out to the back with a little bit more slope for better drainage someday (There is a drain at the back door at least.) And those two hills on either side have been hard to effectively landscape. Nothing wants to grow in that poor fill dirt. :\ I'm going to just give up and do grass.

Can't wait to see the finished deck. Party at your house? :D

Latest posts