my blah fence.....

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
okay, I have a fence that everytime I look out I just think "BLAH" :sick . any ideas? I was thinking of putting up a partial trellis over the pool for alittle shade cause the kids get red so fast, but it would also make a nice canopy covered in vines. I am going to plant the 4'oclock seeds from Joe here to. oh yeah, this fence goes all along the backyard. i just want to look to the back and see beautiful things. what do you guys with experience think cause I really wish I had a magic wand :barnie

ps. Joe, can I put the seeds directly into the ground or should they be started first. any tips to make them really take off??? :rainbow-sun

6415_may_misc_149.jpg

6415_may_misc_148.jpg

sorry I dont have any better pics of the fence, my camera is in the shop since my son decided to fall (or jump) in the pool at a wedding and it was in my pocket when I jumped in after him. :/

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The seeds can go right in the ground. Just keep them moist and they will grow like mad. They may not look great over the next few months, but when spring does arrive you will have a great start. They make big root tubers, you can cut them down and they will grow right back. So if they freeze and look dead don't yank them,but that is a ways off for us yet! :cool:

If you want a trellis over that pool with the little ones in it that looks very easy to do. With the fence there you will only need one post, some beams.....

If you plant night blooming Jasmine around it. That should cover it in a few seasons or less.

Morning Glory is great and grows 15' in just a few months.
It is an annual and is a little late to use this year. But now is a good time to find seeds in the store for them, cheap.

I am going out and take some pictures of my fence. If it were not for my plants the fence would have fell down by now!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh wait!

Let me see! What a cute chicken house! OMG, how sweet!

I can see the blue pole thingy just behind the kids in the bigger picture of the garden. So I get where the kids are...way in the far back in the corner. I get what you mean about "Blah@!" LOL :barnie

I would hold off on the 4 o'clocks for just a bit. It looks like a perfect corner for them, but if it starts shading sooner in the day you might get them to open bloom prior to 4 p.m., and if the kids are swimming then they will be getting buzzed by bees. Their little faces would be in direct line of sight to the flowers and the bees. :bee

I think something taller, something that will backdrop the kids as if they were in a jungle or a forest sort of garden. Something fun looking too...almost like it is an entrance into a hidden place.

It would have to be soft, with several textures or sizes; and some variegation would make the area bright with highlights, lighting up an otherwise darkened corner. So you need several different plants to make this setting.

No sense in it costing you; I think we can muster up some fun ideas here.

Here is one idea. It definitely would be a fantastic spot for an ornamental grass. Some grasses have serrated edges and can be sharp to kids, but with the right selection you can find a grass that is soft to touch and not at all a litter bug. I do like the mini pampas grasses, but they have sharp leaves.

I have seeds to a grass called 'SeaOats'. Here is a sample picture. It grows in a clump.
chasmanthium_latifolium_cavag_lg.jpg

It makes these wonderful flat seed heads that can be cut for vases and can be spray painted in any color. Great for crafters!
Chasmanthium_latifolium.jpg

mine is the dark green variety, but there are variegated types as well...look at this cute one
1101443_com_chasgrassr.jpg

Another suggestion is a Canna Lily, very tall, colorful, and makes blooms. (bees up high on bloom) Here is 'Tropicana', look at all the colors!
canna3.jpg

also, since you are in Florida; I saw a post of Joe's where he was showing off a fabulous red Ti plant!

I see a fun tropical corner, safe, soft, and manageable. Especially water and kid friendly plants!

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you mean a "blah" fence - - you've got BLUE fence posts!

I've got the world's blahest, blah fence. One problem, I built it. Supposed to look the same on either side as a neighbor-friendly construct. Yuck! The fact that you can see right thru it means that it is kind of a "partial" landscaping feature. Almost wish that it was a "gone" landscape feature . . .

One problem about a trellis over a kiddie pool: you are inviting the sparrows to hang out. Already, your chicken feed is an invitation. Sparrows at leisure = poop in the pool.

You may wish to think about a complete cover so that there's some shedding of anything that may otherwise fall in the pool.

Such beautiful vines ideas and ornamental grasses: they would go well with cute coop and cute kids!

. . . just my 2

Steve

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you like my blue fence posts. I got the remainder of my fence off craigslist and the post are blue. at first that's all I could see but I guess I'm used to it now.
I love the grass Idea. I never thought about a ornamental grass! an added plus is I don't mow it! :D
Now I'm thinking of planting the 4oclocks and Mexican petunia between the coop and pool then I can see them when I look out. that would be so nice to look at. :love
I never thought about bird poo in the pool. Im gonna be covering it when the kids are not playing so maybe that would take care of that problem all together.
So many ideas I have never thought of..... my mind is working overdrive now....hmmmm.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never see the bees working the 4 O-clocks.
I have many plants that will do nice there.

I will post some pictures of Cape Honey suckle on my fence, or rather is the fence! The flowers bloom at 6' and up, so does most of the leaves, leaving the under area to fill with goodies.

I suggested the night blooming jasmine over the trellis as to keep the bees away during the day! Also makes a very romantic spot at night, if you know what I mean!

Let me look here and find some old pictures of my grotto.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh those Florida bees, :bee , never working past 4 o'clock!

LOL :gig

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Oh those Florida bees, :bee , never working past 4 o'clock!

LOL :gig

Ron
Hey it's hot down here. Most bee-ings are lazy!
I could post so many pictures ahh .........!

Here is some cape honey suckle, What fence?

100_7588.jpg

This could be run along the fence line in two seasons with few plants.

100_7591.jpg

This one of the poor chickens views, they love the flowers! I think it is the color. But it just may be the flavor of the fine flower they seek!

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AHHHHH!!!!! :barnie

I'm at work and it wont let me see your pics. Its like a tease! I'll have to wait until I get home in the morning to see them. Its gonna be a long night. :hit

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TheNewBee said:
AHHHHH!!!!! :barnie

I'm at work and it wont let me see your pics. Its like a tease! I'll have to wait until I get home in the morning to see them. Its gonna be a long night. :hit
Oh so sorry, did not mean to tease you!
You a nurse? Well it is none of my biz. !

There are a great deal of options, it would have to be up to you!

Oh and lucky you! Rons pictures are dreadful! LOL!

Latest posts