my brocolli and cabbage just arn't doing well.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I planted some peas broccoli and some cabbage seeds in my raised bed and the peas look fabulous... but nothing else is really growing I have some sprouts of either the broccoli or the cabbage ( totally forgot what I planted where) but nothing. The peas are a good six inches now but the sprouts look like they just popped out and have not grown. I am working with really sandy soil.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You must be in a warm area. Growing season is about over here and it'll freeze within the next month and kill everything. Perhaps there is not enough compost in the soil? Peas are good at nitrogen fixing and making due without much, while your brocoli and cabbage might need more. Or if it is getting cooler where you are, things grow really slow. I know my april sown bok choi, a cool season just like brocoli, took 2.5 months to reach matruity, while my June sown took just 6 weeks to reach the same size. Or, if it is still hot where you are, the cool season crops might not be doing so well with the heat?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with the weather and compost issues. We have very CLAY soil and its horrible on lots of my plants. I suggested in another thread of yours, I think gardenias, you should try some plant tone. Its an organic fertelizer I've come to love. I use it on flowers, lawn and veggies. It did wonders on my lettuce.

I'm a late season planter too being south (not as far as you) but I would suggest covering your garden in the next month anyways just to ensure nightly warmth.

I'm doing that with my last batch of lettuce and radishes so I can harvest in November.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So what do you guys think of just planting the peas now for the fall season and the just tilling them under. That should offer some help for next spring season. I need to find some poop!!!!!! ;) I am in a warm place. I live in Slidell, Lousiana which is across the lake from new orleans. Our nightly temps have been in the mid 60's. I won't get a frost till early nov at the earliest. But I will try to cover them.

How do you feel about miracle grow soil? do you think it will have more organic matter? but also chemicals too huh? I used some composted steer manure ( 5 bucks a bag and was mostly sand) and some top soil to build the beds (2 bucks and mostly sand). I did put my compost in there (before the fireants) but I guess it was not enough.

Ok Thanks

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If nights are in the mid 60's don't bother covering. Peas do best in temps below 70. I don't even think they will produce any peas if it gets over like 75. If it gets too warm under the cover for your brocoli, it might bolt and all you'll get is a stalk with a pile of yellow flowers.

As for miracle grow, probably some in small quanities over time would help. However, if you don't have the organic matter to keep the nutrients from washing away, might end up losing most of it to the water table.

I've read steer manure and horse manure are the "weakest" while chicken is the strongest. Since you are in such a warm area, I bet if you tried hay bale gardening or just tossing down lots of layers of hay, bunches if chicken manurer, more hay and so on, you can build up the soil fast.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
I've read steer manure and horse manure are the "weakest" while chicken is the strongest. Since you are in such a warm area, I bet if you tried hay bale gardening or just tossing down lots of layers of hay, bunches if chicken manurer, more hay and so on, you can build up the soil fast.
Very good info from silkie! Keep adding to that soil this winter.

Peas always grow much faster than sprouts, cabbage, and broccoli. I find they are always the slower crops in my garden. Depending on when you first planted the seeds, you may not get anything this fall, depending on temps. Let them keep growing though, and you may get a crop next spring. They certainly won't bolt at this time of year, and can survive pretty severe cold. If you could prop up some A frame style cold frames over them, you might be surprised how well they can do. who knows you might even get a meal by Thanksgiving. :)

Latest posts