My Chicks Can Talk!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
8 20 16 Chick Feed email.JPG

8 20 16 watching you.jpg

Probably on Tuesday, I will attempt to play with them in the chicken tractor. I think I will keep Cherokee in the house while they are out there. I have let him see, smell, and even a lick on the chicks heads! He seems not to be trying to eat them... But still he gets a bit excited when he sees them. Wish I had been able to have them when he was a tiny puppy...
He has grown to be quite a big fellow! He will be two on Oct. 28th.
8 13 16 Standing 03 email.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to put my fave rooster, Nesco, down today. I suspect he broke his leg jumping off the roost. Sigh. Where is someone to do the dirty deed when you want someone? Guess it's me.
chickens roosting.JPG

On the other hand, I guess I can now combine my little flock with the big one and free up my garden shed for garden things.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
He was very pretty! It's always harder for me to kill a good ol' rooster than the hens even...usually I've had the rooster longer and their feathering is so very pretty that it's hard to make yourself mess it up.

Sorry you had to kill him before his time. Are you going to eat him, Red? Putting an old rooster through a pressure canner can turn his meat completely tender for eating.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think he broke a leg jumping down from the roost, but I'm not sure. I decided not to take a chance on his being ill somehow. He went down awfully fast from ruling the roost to not eating and not being able to move around.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We can''t have roosters here in the City limits of Tucson. They are pretty! Sorry you had to put him down. Very sad...

Latest posts