My cool weather garden

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These are some of the things I have growing now. They are cold hardy and thrive in cooler temps.

garden6.jpg

This is about one third of my main garden area.

garden2.jpg

All sorts of things are in these rows - broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc.

garden3.jpg

Red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, head lettuce, endive, butter crunch and spinach.

garden4.jpg

The rhubarb has been growing now for three years. The stalks are thick and strong. Do you know the stalks are edible but the leaves are poisonous?

I have other things growing but it was gettinglate when I took these yesterday.

I have beets, onion sets, potatoes, peas, several types of cabbage (plan todo kraut this summer!), asparagus among others that are coming up.

It will be another few weeks before things like tomatoes, squash or cucumbers and the like can go in the ground. Every year I hedge the last frost date. I am itchy this year to get things going!

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have tilled three times. This plot was filled with everything from my chickens to fireplace ashes over the winter. My husband bought me a small tiller last year for my birthday. I use it! The weeds will come though. They always do. :(

wooden_pony

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Very nice Miss!

I have to get out and till my gardne but my tiller is like fighting with a bull it is so big LOL

I clean the whole yard on Sunday just to get ready for planting. I need to get out there before it hits 90 this weekend yucko :(

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice looking garden! I'm getting the itch but, it is way to early here yet! Even for the cold weather stuff. :(

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nice we planted all the cold tolarent stuff this week and last week.

Lettuce, carrots, many types of mesclun, spaggehti squash, peas, radishes and beets.

I also planted egg plants but that was just an eggsparament LOL

Happy gardening,
Henry

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you know the stalks are edible but the leaves are poisonous?
You know what is so funny... When our pigs would get out (they can climb like you wouldn't believe) they would ALWAYS go straight for the rhubarb. My mom would scratch her head (after cursing the pigs) because they would eat the entire plant! :eek:
It looks great! No weeds and everything is in perfect rows. You didn't start from seed, did you? Or did you start them inside and then plant?

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Always seeds started inside in January then moved outside asap and into the ground.

Latest posts