my cutting garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's my "cutting garden."

Do you have a garden area especially for growing flowers for cutting and bringing indoors?

Steve

Hartson001-1.jpg

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My gosh DigitS, that's gorgeous. My cutting bed has evolved over the years into just gladiolas.

It used to be bigger, but after we got indoor cats who like to eat the flowers we bring indoors, I decided the space would be better off with blueberry bushes.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother makes the most amazing arrangements - mine look like I grabbed a bunch and threw them into a vase :/

I've always wanted to have a cutting garden but have never devoted the space to it - now I may since I'm moving everything around and reallocating space. Those snapdragons are gorgeous!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have gladiolas and some other things elsewhere. Glads make me glad (& they are about one of my favorites :)

Cats eat flowers?? I knew they could be a problem for green plants . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Ann. Sometimes it looks a little cut-over which is one reason for keeping these plants all together and a little out-of-the-way.

Making an "okay" bouquet isn't too tuff. Maybe I should call it a bokay, huh?

The advantage one has with fresh flowers is that they are alive! Just give them a little bit of time and they will straighten themselves out. Putting the bokay directly under a light overnight (I'm NOT talking about a grow light, or anything), will really help make them look like something the next morning - especially those snapdragons.

All a part of them being alive.

S'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must not have gotten close enuf to the weeds, Joan.

I remember some really beauteeeeful snaps once - really tall and nice. They were in a little flower bed near the front door. There were some apricot hollyhocks behind them. I just could NOT cut the flowers.

I paid Thompson & Morgan quite a bit for those seeds - which looked pretty ridiculous considering the plants start off life as seeds so tiny they may as well be dust. (Like 30 specks of dust in an envelope.) Now I just go for the simple Rockets with a few Madam Butterfly. Those are Benary zinnias in the background and a mix of China asters are in the near left corner.

With a little more of this and that - they can go together to make nice bokays.

S'

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I have gladiolas and some other things elsewhere. Glads make me glad (& they are about one of my favorites :)

Cats eat flowers?? I knew they could be a problem for green plants . . .
They eat flowers. I can't have any in the house, the little boys eat them. I caught Tux eating a lily - that'll kill him! Some cats don't, but mine sure do! But for some reason they leave this spathiphyllum alone. I think they think it hides them :lol:

sentries.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yea, and I meant to say - does anyone watch Keeping Up Appearances? Hyacinth Bucket insists on pronouncing her name Boo-kay. Putting on airs and all :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do those boys do dishes, Ann?!?

Rose: I'm finished with men, they're nothing but heartache and trouble!
Hyacinth: Oh I know what you mean dear, I can never get Richard to fold his pajamas!

Steve's digits

Latest posts