My eyes are bigger than my work ethic!

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok so I think I ordered too much seed, I bought some Seeds of Change broccoli, cabbage at Walmart and started them on the weekend. I just looked at my Fedco seed order and see that I also ordered broccoli and cabbage from them. I think I ordered too many beet seeds and some other seeds too. I didn't realize how many seeds you get in a package and I pretty much over ordered a lot of veggies.

So how long will my seeds be good. I am thinking they will be good next season. I've heard to put them in a sealed plastic container and put them in the freezer. Is this good advice? and am I on the right track or do I have to plant all of it. I've got 72 broccoli plants started already. I'll never be able to handle it all if I plant all the rest of the seeds I have.

I hope they will because if so I have greatly reduced the amount of money I spend on plants. I should have started seeds a long time ago, now I just need to make sure they germinate and harden off right.

dpurdy

Sprout
Reaction score
@r4eboxer,
I read an article about saving seeds from the Oregon State University researchers Deborah Kean and Jim Meyers that stated the following. I hope this info helps you.
Some types of seeds are naturally more short-lived than others. Parsnips, spinach, lettuce and the alliums have the shortest seed life. And there may be some correlation with oil content of seeds with seed life. Generally, the higher oil content seeds decline in germination more quickly.
Seed is best stored through the winter at 50 degrees, at 50 percent humidity. A good way to store unused seed packets is to place them in a sealed jar with a desiccant such as powdered milk or rice at the bottom (to absorb moisture). Rice can be reused again as a desiccant if you dry it in the oven at a low temperature, said Myers. Store your seed jar in the refrigerator or a cool area, such as a basement.
Minimum seed life for common homegrown vegetables and flowers are given below. These seed life spans reflect no special care taken. If you keep your seeds dry and cool, you can expect many of them to last longer than the time periods indicated here, especially beans, peas and corn.
Bush and pole beans - two years
Beets - two years
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and kohlrabi - three to five years
Carrots - three years
Collard, Kale - three to five years
Sweet Corn - one year
Cucumbers - three years
Leeks, onions - two to three years
Lettuce - three years
Melons - three years
Oriental greens - three years
Parsley - two years
Parsnips - one year
Peas - two years
Peppers - two years
Radishes - four years
Rutabagas - three years
Spinach - one season
Squashes - three to four years
Swiss Chard - two years
Tomatoes - three years
Turnips - four years

Flower seed - annuals are generally good for one to three years; perennials for two to four years. These saving times are only estimates and sometimes depending on climate and storage methods, some seeds might last even longer. I've know gardeners who have successfully germinated seeds that were over 7 years old. One more way to tell if your older seeds are still good, is to put your seeds in a container with water. Leave the seeds in the water overnight and inspect them the next day. Any seeds that drop to the bottom of the jar of water, are more than likely to be good seeds. Only do this process if you plan on germinating these seeds. It would not be a good thing to rehydrate your seeds unless you plan on using them. Hope this helps.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may also find that you will benefit from additional plantings, this year. Especially with your cool weather crops. It is nice to spread out your harvests and see what grows best, at what time... 72 broccoli plants sounds like a lot! That is one of the seeds you might try planting directly in the garden. It will an interesting comparison for you. In my experience I prefer not to start seeds, if I don't have to. Direct seeded broccoli catches up to seedlings very fast, and you might find they are stronger plants. But, they do last a long time- and after all, can you really have too many veggies??

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I guess it sounds dumb, but I never considered that I could bring home pests on the leaves of bought plants. That said, I'm not buying ANY plants this year. I also have tons of seeds, so I don't need to. Thanks, dpurdy, for that list.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
dpurdy said:
@r4eboxer,
I read an article about saving seeds from the Oregon State University researchers Deborah Kean and Jim Meyers that stated the following. I hope this info helps you. . . . Hope this helps.
Wow! How's that for a 1st post? Welcome to TEG, dpurdy :frow!

I was just looking at an Iowa State seed viability table with about the same numbers. They seem a little pessimistic to me but maybe I just have good storage conditions.

Don't be afraid to order more seed than you can use the 1st year - I don't trust onion seed very much but that's about it. My seed orders were very small this year since they have been embarrassingly large the last few years! There's enuf variety and choices of new & old that I'm not very concerned about using so much old seed. I won't have to "bet the farm on them" anyway. That's a benefit of diversity.

Seventy two broccoli plants? Good Heavens!!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
Ok so I think I ordered too much seed, I bought some Seeds of Change broccoli, cabbage at Walmart and started them on the weekend. I just looked at my Fedco seed order and see that I also ordered broccoli and cabbage from them. I think I ordered too many beet seeds and some other seeds too. I didn't realize how many seeds you get in a package and I pretty much over ordered a lot of veggies.

So how long will my seeds be good. I am thinking they will be good next season. I've heard to put them in a sealed plastic container and put them in the freezer. Is this good advice? and am I on the right track or do I have to plant all of it. I've got 72 broccoli plants started already. I'll never be able to handle it all if I plant all the rest of the seeds I have.

I hope they will because if so I have greatly reduced the amount of money I spend on plants. I should have started seeds a long time ago, now I just need to make sure they germinate and harden off right.
My broccoli from 2004 is up. I take no special care in saving seed and they seem to keep indefinitely. I save tomatoes for many years . You get many seeds in the package. I must have 30 types of tomato seeds saving them year after year and adding new types to the collection.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow DPURDY, thanks for that list. I think the best place to store my seeds in is my cellar with some rice in the bottom of a jar.

Yep, 72 broccoli plants. I was worried they would not germinate and I would be left with only a few. I was wrong, my broccoli took less than two days to germinate and I have little sprouts everywhere.

Lesa, I didn't know broccoli would direct seed so well, maybe I will use some of my cool weather seeds for fall crops. My boys LOVE raw broccoli with ranch. I suppose if I get too much broccoli I can offer it for sale when egg customers come for their eggs.

Latest posts