My Fall Garden

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't get my garden planted on time this year because my garden spot was flooded due to a back up in our septic system. Anyway, we got the problem fixed but my yard was saturated and it took months to completely dry. Well this morning, me and my husband mowed our garden spot and pulled the grass/weeds by hand. While we were weeding, we came across a tomato plant that I assume seeded itself from last years crop. We got the weed barrier put down and I planted some green beans and peas thus far. We got it all mulched but I was curious about other crops that have a fast maturity rate. I plan to plant broccoli because it grows good in the cooler air of autumn. I also got my DH to put up my greenhouse this year that I ordered 7 years ago lol. I am also interested in winter crops in the greenhouse. It is a 6x8 double walled polycarbonate. I'm excited for fall to get here.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome

Sounds like you had a rough start to the season! :p Hope it goes well from here on out sonjab. Welcome!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think now is a good time to get in your winter squash and pumpkins? Maybe cabbage, lettuce, leeks, green onions... carrots which can stay right in the ground through winter!

:welcome

By the way, where are you located? Do you know your zone?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi sonjab314, :welcome !

A few that I can think of (because I am getting ready to sow most of my fall crops as well) would be:

broccoli
cabbage
cauliflower
brussels sprouts
carrots
beets
turnips
kale
lettuce
spinach
collards/mustard greens
swiss chard
chinese cabbages
annual herbs (like dill or basil)
peas
radishes
cover crops

A few summery things you may still have time for:
(depending on your zone/location--add that to your screen name when you get a chance and it helps us tailor our responses to your growing conditions)

summer squash
zucchini
potatoes (for new potatoes)
*maybe* some corn, based on days to maturity
garlic (plant in October for next year)
cucumbers
peppers (most varieties)
bush beans

See, all is not lost! :) Really all you are out of luck on would be tomatoes and melons/squash/pumpkins that require a very long growing period or things that require heat to grow or produce.

Find out your zone# and your last frost date and you can definitely determine what you'll have time for based on avg. days to maturity listed on most seed packets (which varies from variety to variety). Some things like kale and brussels sprouts are going to taste better if they get some frost--they are frost tolerant anyway. If you have any questions on what works well in your area, your county ag. extension service is a great place to get good advice.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to add that I am in zone 5 in MO. I'll add it to my screen name. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to add the brussel sprouts if I can find some seed this late in the season. I have some cucumber seeds that I could plant for pickles mmmmmm lol. I have lettuce seed too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok, take it from somebody who only THIS year got all my crops in ON TIME!! You can plant late, BUT, you need to heavily mulch around your plants and in between them.
You can find practically every plant on clearance now. In about a week, your selection will diminish.
There are crops that can be planted twice--most are cool weather crops:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1227.html
DO NOT start your tomatoes indoors. Buy the ones that already have fruit, then bury the first 3 sets of leaves so that they will establish better roots. Buy pepper plants with peppers on them, too. Same with cucumbers. I planted mine in Mid-May and they just started producing fruit--harvested 13 this weekend.
Weeds will be your BIGGEST nemesis. For example, I have a spouting weed that grows on my property that looks identical to a sweet pepper sprout. I have read recently (ironically) that you can and should start your 2nd crop indoors, or on a sunny windowsill or porch. Guess the group will need to comment on this--I've never done this.
Buy some good water hoses, too. See if you can capture rain, because you'll need to water like crazy, since you missed the Spring rains. (I guess that's why you start the 2nd crop inside.)
Just buy the plants, start them indoors, lay down 1/2" thick newspaper and mulch like a crazy person, and you should have a decent crop.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Ok, take it from somebody who only THIS year got all my crops in ON TIME!! You can plant late, BUT, you need to heavily mulch around your plants and in between them.
You can find practically every plant on clearance now. In about a week, your selection will diminish.
There are crops that can be planted twice--most are cool weather crops:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1227.html
DO NOT start your tomatoes indoors. Buy the ones that already have fruit, then bury the first 3 sets of leaves so that they will establish better roots. Buy pepper plants with peppers on them, too. Same with cucumbers. I planted mine in Mid-May and they just started producing fruit--harvested 13 this weekend.
Weeds will be your BIGGEST nemesis. For example, I have a spouting weed that grows on my property that looks identical to a sweet pepper sprout. I have read recently (ironically) that you can and should start your 2nd crop indoors, or on a sunny windowsill or porch. Guess the group will need to comment on this--I've never done this.
Buy some good water hoses, too. See if you can capture rain, because you'll need to water like crazy, since you missed the Spring rains. (I guess that's why you start the 2nd crop inside.)
Just buy the plants, start them indoors, lay down 1/2" thick newspaper and mulch like a crazy person, and you should have a decent crop.
As I planted yesterday I got it mulched after I put down the weed barrier. I put on a lot of straw taking care not to cover the seeds. I already have 1 tomato plant in my greenhouse that I planted this past spring. I was thinking of starting some of my seeds in my greenhouse and then transplant them into the garden (lettucce broccoli). I can collect rainwater from the gutters of my greenhouse which I have been doing. I also think I'm going to plant some herbs in my greenhouse and see how they over winter in there. I called around today to some of the home and farm stores and some of them still have a few seeds. I think I'm going to go shopping Friday and see what I can come up with.

ETA: Thanks for the site. That was really helpful.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't forget the many varieties of Chinese greens. These are very fast crops best grown in the Fall and early Spring.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never heard of Chinese Greens. Are they good? :idunno

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sonjab314 said:
I've never heard of Chinese Greens. Are they good? :idunno
Things like Bok Choy and Pak Choy. Chinese Cabbage... mmm... I'm all in a stir fry mood now!!! LOL

Latest posts