My Fig Tree, So Far - So Good

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Red for many years my father had a fig tree planted in the yard in NY. He dd have to protect it in winter, some kind of wrap.
New York would probably be zone 6 where a wrap might work.

The system I heard about involves cutting the north and south roots and 'folding' the trunk to either direction. Then cover well with mucho mulch. In the spring, uncover the trunk and stand it back up.

The following year, cut the east and west roots and fold the trunk to the ground for mulching.

It seems pretty drastic, but it is supposed to work very well.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Barefoot, I wonder if your water had a sudden shock of chlorine, or if somehow the potting soil was bad or had dry spots in it.

Your method was right, so it was one of the materials...

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
TROUBLE! :hit

Right after I posted my picture we experienced a cold-snap. The temps dropped to freezing and all of the little green buds withered. I continued to keep it moist, but now I have some nice, healthy, green shoots coming up from ground level. The branches on the rest of the tree are still green and flexible, but no buds. Should I prune the shoots to allow more nourishment to get to the rest of the tree? Would a picture help?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your fig. I can't help you with what to do, but I'd let it be for a while and see what happens. Many trees can and do send out new leaves after losing their first ones.

I find that my fig is still alive and growing - much to my surprise!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any luck with figs here but I'll try again in another year or two. I want to see that this drought is broken before I try any tree at all.

Oldguy, I think I'd leave it alone. If those branches are still alive they should send out more shoots. If not, they shouldn't draw any nutrients from those coming out from the ground. Why would they need nutrients if they are not growing anything? If they are still alive and you cut them, you'd probably see a lot of sap running out which would take nutrients away from the others.

Once you're sure they are dead I'd take them out. I don't know if dead branches in figs would be a disease risk or not, but they won't do you any good to leave them.

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would wait a while before trimming them. I've had new leaves die on my fig tree after a surprise freeze. If the branches are still flexible, new leaves should grow back:)

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good news! Good news!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

:bouquet :bouquet :bouquet

Seeing little green leaves on the major limbs. Not many yet, but it's going to make it.

:hugs

stephenmoore

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That looks nice The Brown turkey fig tree grows very well in the Mediterranean climate or other warm temperate climates which are dry.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeehaw!

Ok, back to looking for fig newton recipes!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have two celeste figs. one is several years old & is a dwarf by it's circumstances & the other is a baby about 2 1/2 feet tall.
truthfully, figs aren't high on my list, but I have it because this one's name is 'celeste' and my daughter's name is Celesta.

Latest posts