My first expedition into canning.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I made some strawberry preserves from some stawberries I got at the farmers market. This was the first thing I have ever done. And I was thinking I might do some dabbling into canning this season. The place is like a gateway. You start off with a garden then you need some poop. Then you need to preserve everything you grew. It is like never ending cycle.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You should try to find an OLD canning book. A lot of the newer ones are just for pressure canners , but a lot of things do just as good in a hot water bath. The older books have a lot of info about processing times and ammount of salt etc. to can stuff both ways plus there are some really good recipes in them. How did your strawberry preserves turn out?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
But it's a good cycle. We're still eating off our canning and freezing from last season, but it is getting thin. I'm glad I like green beans and I'll plant 50% more corn this year.

The big two preserving methods may be canning and freezing, but don't give up on drying. I don't know anything that gives a greater burst of flavor that popping a dried tomato into your mouth, let alone what they can do for plain old pasta.

Try your public library for old and new preserving books. You might be surprised what is there.