My First Ripe Tomato!! PIX

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Nevermind bacon, I just need some oatmeal bread, good mayo, a little salt & pepper. Perhaps a bit of sliced cucumber.
I LOVE Tomato Sandwiches!! Thanks for reminding me!!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great! Most of mine have fruit (with the exception of the Roma and Bradywine), but none are ripe yet.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
BACON, BACON, Where is the Lettuce and BACON! :barnie
That is so funny, I have been craving that, and I even made bacon today just thinking about a BLT. I am just planting my tomatoes so it will be awhile. :drool

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I have one plant out of a row of 20 that has 2 tomatoes on it about the size of a golf ball or a little smaller. That 'mater look just delicious. More pics when you slice it and we'll all turn green with envy.
Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo of it!! Darn!! We had it tonight with dinner.

I sliced it and put fresh mozzarella cheeze, basil (also from the garden), olive oil, and balsamic vinegar on the silces. It would have made a great photo!! Next time!!

It was sooooooooooo good!! Very nice flavor!! Not like the ones I have been buying all winter from the store!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I knew it would be delicious! If there is a better combination than basil and tomatoes, I don't know what it is!! Counting the months, till I have some!

KevsFarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thats a real nice looking tomatoe..! Mine are doing pretty good.I have early girl,sweet 100 cherries,red brandywine and san marsano plums.
For my area my tomatoes are kicking butt..(eastern long island,ny).However i cheated..lol..what i mean is i made mini hot houses out of recycled sliding glass doors.I put two 4x4 post in the ground about 6-7 ft apart, and use two sliders , leaning against the 4x4 post.It's simply a little A frame kinda thing.I dug down about 18 in. for each plant, mixed in alot of rotted manure from my compost pile with some soil dug from the hole.Then tucked them in with hay mulch.
My sweet 100's have blossoms and already need staking.Around these parts, the old timers say plant your tomatoes around Memorial Day,i'm hoping for my first ripe cherry tomatoe by Memorial Day.That would be pretty darn good for these parts..!
Despite the cool wet weather we've been having in the northeast, my tomatoes are doing outragous..! Without the protection i gave them, they'd be suffering from the wind, colder than normal temps and wet weather.I've never had tomatoes thrive so well, so early as this spring.
Good luck all you tomatoes growers..!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dear KevsFarm,

That is a great idea!! Of course here in Tucson, we need to shade our tomatoes to keep them cool!!

I used to try to grow tomatoes in Alaska, now your glass sliding doors would have worked really great up there!!

Latest posts