My garden now

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
(this was posted on BYC too)

I finally found some time to work on my garden and now that all dangers of a late frost has past ( :fl ) I planted some corn. I'll get more planted in the next few days. I'm going to buy some started plant too. Like tomatoes and herbs. Everything else I think I'll just start from seeds like I always do.

Please excuse the tall grass. We've had a lot of rain lately.

I put up some deer netting to keep the cats and dog out of the garden. To bad the cats can't see it and run straight into it over and over again. I tied up some paper bowls to see if that'll show them there's something there and you can't walk through it.

Here's the garden before all the tacky stuff. Hey I don't mind tacky as long as it works. ;)
DSC01284.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01366.jpg

I had 100 feet of deer netting and it ran about 10 feet to short so I'm going to have to finish it off with this horse fence I had laying around.

DSC01369.jpg

The garden is only shaded like this in the morning, by noon it's full sun until the sun goes down.
DSC01370.jpg

Here's one of my rain barrels, I have 2. The water comes downt he gutter and into the barrel. There's a spigot and the bottom for filling up watering cans and an overflow on the side.

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

The end! Thanks for looking!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
very nice. I love rain barrels and your garden looks to have decent soil-have fun!

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Look at all those leaves on the trees!

That makes me long for a level lot. My flat spot is over the septic system.

Do you have a hard time with the trees? Mine are on the south and west.

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
whatnow? said:

Hard time with the trees? I don't think I understand the question. Sorry.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The rain barrel idea is a good one, as the water is generally warmer than from the hose, and less shocking to the plants. No chemicals either like chlorine.

We draw our water from a well, so supplemental water sources are great. I just wish I could get more barrels, at a reasonable price. The ones sold for the purpose, locally, are way to expensive. I think the downspout attatchments they sell are a little pricey as well. For now I have the downspout leading straight into the barrels.

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
southern28chick said:
whatnow? said:

Hard time with the trees? I don't think I understand the question. Sorry.
Do the trees provide too much shade? I am surrounded on all sides which cuts down on my early morning and late day sun. Noon isn't bad in the summer, but early season and late season midday shade can be a problem, too.

Latest posts