My green thumb is BLACK!

urban dreamer

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi! :frow

I've been lurking around this site for a while and decided to go ahead and make myself known. I'm a member of BYC and SS Forum too.

My green thumb is pitch black although I have gotten lucky in the past. I would love to have a big rich vegetable garden but my knowledge and skills leave alot to be desired. In short- I need help! I have a little 6x6 area next to my chicken coops that receives mostly sun. I grew some massive banana peppers there this summer in a barrel. I would like to learn to grow more this spring. I was thinking about building a raised bed and I really want to grow tomatoes, onions, and squashes. My biggest problem is sun- our yard is surrounded by oak trees. So what should a real noobie do? What do you suggest a good beginner's garden should consisit of? What are the easiest things to grow in containers? ANY advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Urban Dreamer

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! There is nothing wrong with a black thumb- when people say I have a green thumb- I show them my black one. After a summer of weeding it won't come clean!!! It sounds like you have a nice little plot. You have chicken poop- great fertilizer! I would recommend growing what you enjoy. I keep growing zucchini- and I realized this year, that to be honest, I really don't like it! You have all of fall and winter to add compost to your plot- by spring it will be ready to plant. No real reason to do container or raised bed- unless you want to. Let us know where you are located- and your zone and we will be happy to help. Good luck!

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
UD,

I also live in a shady, oak tree area. My thumb is pretty darn black, too. Since my soil was compacted, I went with a raised bed. In a way it's easier - way fewer weeds -- but it takes a lot of watering.

I have given up on all the sun lovers and now mainly grow spinach, lettuce, herbs, and I get a fair return on green beans. Kudos to you for getting any peppers!

Inchworm

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:frow I use the scientific method!! I just keep throwing seeds in the bed until something grows!!! :tools

I love the smileys over here!!!

gina

urban dreamer

Sprout
Reaction score
I like the smilies too! :bun

I think I may have been over-watering my gardens too. I used to drown them every morning but with a new school year I haven't been getting out there everyday. Chicken poo is great fertilizer and there is plenty of it!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All a black thumb needs is some good old compost!

I've only been messing with gardening for 3-4 years... I killed EVERYTHING that ever grew near me. So you are not alone. TEG made me what I am today!

...and for only $19.95 you too....

Just kidding! :lol:

Latest posts