My Invention for Rock Removal

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you're like me and just starting out one of the first things you discovered was that your intended garden spot was full of rocks. Even on a small plot you figured out that not only were they a pain in the knees, but getting rid of them was too. Than I came up with an idea that works great.

First I went to my local grocery store and asked the manager if he had any "junk" shopping carts. He said he'd be happy to give me one since he had to pay to have them hauled away and pointed me to the "cart graveyard" in back of the store. I picked one that was intact except for a flat-spotted wheel. You know, the one that goes thump, thump, thump as you push it down the aisle.

Took it out into the garden and shoveled some dirt into it. Shook the cart. The dirt fell through leaving the larger rocks to be carted off to wherever you keep rocks. Since the mesh on most carts is about 1" square it only leaves the smallest rocks, One hint; Do not put to much dirt into the cart at one time. Makes it to hard to shake.

Hope this helps someone. :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG you shouldnt have told me they GAVE you an old shopping cart. That just sounds like something i could use...for something or other!? Line it and fill it with dirt for a nice elevated garden bed?? Hrm, just seems like there could be lotsa ideas besides your great one for sieving the soil!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
OMG you shouldnt have told me they GAVE you an old shopping cart. That just sounds like something i could use...for something or other!? Line it and fill it with dirt for a nice elevated garden bed?? Hrm, just seems like there could be lotsa ideas besides your great one for sieving the soil!
Yeah, actually when it isn't clearing rocks it serves a lot of other purposes. Right now it's got all of my BBQ stuff. I just roll the whole works out to the pit.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 14 ft. long trailer that used to be used for hauling lawn mowing equipment. He purchased it at auction about 10 years ago. The floor of the trailer is open expanded metal and we use it to sift out rocks, sift compost, apply manure, and all sorts of things like that. We load it with the front end loader on my tractor and simply pull it wherever we want to go. The bouncing action works great.

I think your shopping cart idea is nice.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Shopping carts are so useful! When I taught school we used shopping carts from a local grocery store for moving books, equipment, etc. from room to room. They were especially useful the year we had to move everything in the building for a summer remodel. Teachers always had to do the moving so shopping carts saved our backs.

Sounds like a great idea for sifting rocks out and I would never have thought of that. Thanks!

Latest posts