My invention

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Cat, you put the seeds in the can and use a pestle or wooden dowel to scrape them on the sandpaper?
No...shake, shake, shake. I did my artichoke seeds. But their seed coat is not as tough as daylilies. They are now soaking and are softening. They too can have a poor germination.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever used a hormone in the seed water such as giberillic acid or a rooting hormone like indole acetic acid? Being acids they also tend to prevent fungus while promoting germination.
I think I tried aspirin once. Then I read it could kill the seed. I can't remember the outcome, but I did not do it again.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I tried aspirin once. Then I read it could kill the seed. I can't remember the outcome, but I did not do it again.
Yes it is a little known detail that while aspirin show some evidence it acts like an auxin, it also shows properties related to abscission. Basically its pretty potent, and I can imagine a tender root being blunted by a strong acid. Given how potent hormones are and the labels saying use small amounts like 1\4 tsp per gallon, I could also imagine crushing 2-4 aspirin into a gallon as being toxic. It most definitely will kill off powdery mildew in my garden until the rain washes the white residue off the plants.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
teg artichoke.jpg
My seed nicking invention seems to have increased germination time and rate on my artichoke seeds. I always overprlant and it seems that was unnecessary. So far so good.

Latest posts