My New Garden Fence

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a fence today to go around my vegetable garden.
I wanted a simple wooden Cape Cod style picket fence for the garden.
I went to the store this afternoon and found exactly what I wanted on the display out in front of the store and it was sold in 8 foot sections for $23.00.
I went to the area where its sold and found they had 3 sections on clearance for $10.00 each because a picket was broken on each of them.

I decided to take them and just use the pickets off of one to fix the other two since I would still be saving money and its little work.

Then I could pull the rest of the pickets off and save them for extras in case any needed to be replaced later on down the road.
If you were to buy replacement pickets I have seen them sell for $1.38 -$2.00 and I got 16 pickets off of that one section.

As we were looking for the rest of the sections that we needed in the regular priced section we found that all of them had something wrong with them, a chunk missing out of a picket or a crack in one of them so we loaded up the best looking ones and I got the manager and told him that these should be priced the same as the clearanced ones since they were not in any better condition and I wanted to pay $10.00 for them as well, he agreed and changed the price on them for me.
We still had the one extra section to use the pickets off of and it would do all the other sections.
I ended up buying a few extra sections to use around the chicken coop since it was such a good deal.

So we paid $120.00 for 12 sections that would have cost $276.00.
We picked up some screws and they came with a free drill bit, bonus :) and then when I got home I found a gallon of paint that was barely used, it was left over from when we painted the trim on the house and its a pretty color so I used that.
Coincidentally the screws we bought just happened to match the paint I ended up using so everything blends and I hadn't even been thinking along those lines.
It worked out perfect since I didn't really want to go out and buy paint and this paint matches the house.
I hadn't even decided whether to paint the fence or not, I know its a pain when it starts to peel but I have had a fence around the yard that I let go natural and I am kind of sick of the look so when I walked by the shelf of paint in the carriage house on my way out to the yard and saw the gallon of paint and some brushes sitting there I figured what the heck.
Its a nice change and I think that picket style garden fences always look really cute when they are painted. I love when flowers spill out from between the pickets.
Even when the pickets start to peel they look kind of quaint, at least that is what I am telling myself. ;)

So it looks like the fence was meant to be today,from the price deal to the extra gallon of matching paint. I love when everything falls into place like this.
I'll post some pictures when its finished.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I was already happy to begin with that I didn't need to buy fencing for all 4 sides of the fence because the garden is in a corner of the yard where its already fence in by the existing yard fence on 2 sides.
So I had been thinking that I lucked out by placing the vegetable garden there and when I got that great deal it was even better.
We are going to be able to make a gate from one of the sections that we only needed a couple of feet from and not the entire panel so I am going to pick up some hinges today if I don't have any extras laying around.
Today is a beautiful day to be outside.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a wonderful find. I'm glad I'm not the only one to luck out while having to shop for expensive stuff for the garden. I can't wait to see photos of it up?

Were you working on it today since it was so nice?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It was beautiful out wasn't it?! I just love this perfect weather.
I lined up all the fence sections and hung out with the chickens and painted.
I figured I would paint them now while the holes are being dug.
I noticed some rough spots on some of the pickets and briefly considered sanding them but then decided against it.
I figure its fine, it will look rustic and who is really going to notice once its up?
It should be finished this week if we keep getting this nice weather.
Although, my son broke his hand today and he sees a surgeon tomorrow about having pins put in it to set the break so depending on how things go with him I guess we'll see if my goal of getting it done this week comes true.
Baseball and soccer season is in full swing too and has me running all over the place but I am sure I will squeeze some painting time in there.
Hmm, breaks his hand just before the fence project, tears his minsicus and has knee surgery just before the last giant snow storm we had....I see a pattern here ;) lol.

Latest posts