My new rescue pet

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A neighbor was about to swat this spider when I caught it in my cupped hands and relocated it to my herb garden. The neighboe thought I was nuts but within a few hours she had her web up and an "Open for Business" sign out.
6858_spider.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next, I want to see some critter that will keep your feet warm on a cold winter evening, Hoodie.

Congratulations on the new resident in your herbs.

Steve ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think orb weavers are much help as predators. They catch about as many good bugs as bad but she's fun to have around.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote with digit, something warm and fuzzy next time! Cool spider though!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful spider. I wish I had one of those to show my kids.

I assume you knew what kind it was and that it was harmless when you cupped it in your hands?

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
None of the orb weavers found in the Us are poisonous. As kids we called them cobweb spiders because of the shape of the web. What's fun is to get a web across your face when you're walking down a path at night. Especially if the spider is still in it. :barnie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Orb spiders are always welcomed at my house :D I have one that looks similar in the front garden bed. She is a little more orange though. I told her to get busy because I was going to make her help me decorate for halloween!

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Excellent save! My all time favorite spider. When I was little my dad showed us to gently toss a grasshopper into the web. It would quickly spin it up. I can't wait until I can show my kids that trick, it's sooooo neat to watch.