My Roses

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These were taken a couple of years ago. Sadly I lost the Tequila Sunrise and my poor Candy Stripe is doing poorly as well. Hopefully next year I will be able to show them the love they deserve....

candy_stripe1.jpg

candy_stripe2.jpg

tequila1-1.jpg

candy_sky.jpg

tequila1.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

They are lovely! I think they look very healthy; the one bud showing a bit of browning to the edges could be thrips, but this is quite normal for our part of the world. I typically use the Rose Food with a Systemic Pesticide in the Spring, this will keep the thrips from ruining everything but it may not eliminate them if there are field crops nearby; especially onions.

I love how glossy and dark and thick your leaves look. I also think the canes are very nice and green with a healthy look.

Typically summer for roses is not the best time because they put on odd growth and the blooms are lessened than they are in the Spring. The real display is that full nice Spring Bloom when they explode with color from every inch of the plant. Sometimes you get a repeat of that in the Fall because the plants are fooled into thinking it is Spring again, so it might be a good time to do a fertilizing now before Fall really sets in.

Other than that they are oooohhh so perfect to me. I bet you will be pleased this coming Spring for sure!

Be sure and let any hips form on the plants from this point (meaning that if you deadhead the spent blooms go ahead and stop for now) Then any remainder of the blooms can set hips. I think the hips look lovely in the winter. The hips will be hard and full and range from yellow to orange to a deep red. Once the hip begins to shrivel to a prune or raisin-like in texture; still soft but not mushy, then break them open and gather the seeds. They are sort of half-moon shape, sometimes tiny and sometimes large, but definitely hard. The seeds range from whitish to black and color is not a determination of viability, so gather both. I do however toss out the ones that float in water. I then take the stickiness off of them by soaking them in a bit of peroxide. This will fizzle off any meat and debris. Then simply rinse clean and plant them in a covered dish in a sunny window. Some sprout within two weeks, and some sprout within two months; but certainly by Spring you will have the seedlings you want to nurture; I then take whatever was left (soil and non-sprouted seeds) and toss that into the flower bed for a 'just in case' sprouting. Then care for your little seedlings like you would any other roses. They will bloom before they are above 4 inches tall!

Goodluck

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, I found one rose hip that I harvested seed from. The seeds are actually sort of brownish-red and not sticky really. And there were a LOT of seeds in there - at least it seemed like a lot to me. Anyway, I should start the seeds now? Just plant them all together in one thing then separate any that sprout? Or should they be in individual containers? If they do sprout do I keep them indoors until planting time in the spring?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well,

To be honest I think you jumped the gun LOL Rose seeds need a good cold stratifying; this is why I let them stay on the bush during the winter months and allow them to shrivel on the bush to a raisin-like status. Usually by the time this happens there have been several late night freezes if not a month's worth. So it is usually around late December to January when I notice the hips losing their color and texture. Then I go gathering and start them in the window, this way by last frost the plant is a few inches tall and ready to go outside for the year.

It won't hurt to try them though. Did you put them in some water to see if they float. I find the floating seeds are not viable, and I only plant the ones that sink.

You could take them now and put them in a baggy of moist peatmoss and toss them in the fridge for a few weeks. This might help stratify them.

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot.

I am going to offer my rose seeds for others to try this winter. So this might give you the 'experience' you need and will help in any future plantings.

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the hip I found was quite withered and wrinkled up with an outer skin like leather and the hip itself was blackish-brown with barely distiguishable deep crimson hints. I *think* it may have been from last year.... :hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Oh, I almost forgot.

I am going to offer my rose seeds for others to try this winter. So this might give you the 'experience' you need and will help in any future plantings.

Ron
Now that is a SERIOUS tease!!! :cool: