My talented Dad's woodcarvings

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice. Impressive. I’m lucky if I can widdle a point on a stick.
I can 'whittle' a point on a popsicle stick -- usually with the help of a concrete sidewalk. I can also use that pointed stick to carve fine animal figures hiding in a bar of Ivory soap. That's about the extent of my manual creativity. The third graders were impressed with my carvings. Grades above that were not so impressed.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are fine carvings, Carol Dee. I have a couple of carved wood pieces from Spouse's grandfather. I'd love to be able to do something creative like that. Not gonna happen.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, that stringer of fish look positively REAL. What a talented man! Very beautiful stuff, all of it. We don't have much talent in our family for much...got a sister who has a lot of artistic talent but has sold all her stuff and now no longer does it.

I used to paint on old barn boards and sold some stuff but haven't done that in years and years. My hands wouldn't do that anymore, they go numb and painful at the same time now when I try to do any fine work with my fingers.

Nope...not much talent here except for grudge holdin'. I've got family who can hold a grudge for 30 yrs and runnin' and not one reason for even doing it. It's just a talent they have.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some impressive wood carvings and paint jobs. I have carved a few things but very crude compared to those. Wish I had that kind of skill and patience, it would take a whole lot more practice and artistic talent than I possess lol. Those are some real family heirlooms.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back when kids were encouraged to carry knives~even at school, mind you~and you never heard of anyone using them in anger. I started carrying pocket knives when I was 8 and I still carry them today. I have one just about everywhere I go and live...one in my winter coat, a few in my purse, one in the car, two in my desk, etc.

When I go outside to work for the day, a box cutter knife is always in my pocket and I have a 50 ct. blade dispenser mounted on the wall up at the shed. I can't tell you how many times a day I use that thing.

Mom carries a multitool knife and a box cutter in her purse, one in her truck, several in places around the home.

These are not for protection, BTW, but merely because when you need a knife, you need a knife!

I rarely ever see old fellas whittling any more. I used to go to church socials, family reunions and ice cream socials and you'd always see a few oldsters with their chairs in a circle, whittling away. Not really making anything but just whittling while they talked. I'd pull up a chair and get out my knife, choose a stick and get to shaving it, just to listen to what they had to say.

Latest posts