My Teeny Urban Garden (updated; even more photos post 43/page 5)

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've finally taken some photos of the garden. I'm located in MidCity, in New Orleans. Winter never came this year, so I started all my seeds on Feb 4 (late, even if we'd had winter), and set them out around March 6. We have a weird property line, and my garden is in a piece that's actually behind my neighbor's house. The next neighbor, who shares the fenceline with the back of my garden, has said that there's been a garden there on/off for at least 40 years (house was built in 1914). I suppose that might explain why most of the soil is pretty nice and not solid clay.

The garden is oriented NE/SW; so we're looking toward the SW in this photo:
7993_1_garden.jpg

The beds along the right fence contain tomatoes, basil, marigolds, red bell peppers, and about 10 carrots (out of a million seeds planted... or however many were actually in the packet). I had a germination issue, and a weeding issue, and... well, the carrots didn't really do. I'll try them again in the fall.
7993_2_tomato_bed.jpg

The Sungold tomatoes are going crazy.
7993_4_sungold.jpg

In the back of the garden, shaded by the neighbor's ornamental ginger and mulberry tree (which I hate, and wage battle with regularly), is my salad bed. I planted once about 4 weeks ago, and had meant to plant it every couple weeks but didn't. Yet.
7993_5_salad.jpg

The left rear corner of the garden is the utility corner. And my compost pile. The mint and ornamentals (Madame Alfred Carriere rose and a Night Blooming Jessamine) are relegated to pots. I'm too commitment-phobic to put them in the yard someplace (and the dogs would dig them up anyway).
7993_7_compost_1.jpg

Speaking of dogs... This is Riley, who is not ordinarily allowed in the garden.
7993_riley.jpg

The beds along the left side are planted with zucchs, volunteer squash, marigolds and sunflowers.
7993_8_sunflowers_and_squash.jpg

7993_9_sunflower.jpg

7993_10_mystery_squash.jpg

Anyone have any guesses about the squash? I planted zucchs last year, and we had maybe 2 acorn squashes in the house last fall. :hu Clearly my compost isn't hot enough.

The frontmost bed is for cukes, dill, leftover peppers that didn't fit in the tomato/pepper bed but I couldn't either throw them out or resist hedging my bets, and some more sunflowers after I read (here?) that sunflowers improved cucumbers.
7993_11_cuke_bed_1.jpg

7993_13_cukes.jpg

And, in the middle, I made a teeny melon bed. For teeny Noir des Carmes melons. Anyone know how big they get? I've heard conflicting info.
7993_14_melon_bed.jpg

7993_16_baby_cantaloupe.jpg

The actual beds total about 105 sf of garden. I've got a bit more in pots. I'm afraid I may have crowded my beds, but everything looks pretty good (with the exception of the spotty nasturtiums and tomato I pulled). I've been removing enough leaves to allow air circulation and access to sunlight.

I'm quite proud of my wee garden this year.... it's the first time I've planted EVERYTHING from seed (open pollinated varieties) myself. Things aren't growing as quickly as they would have with nursery stock seedlings, but they're also not yellowing and wilting either (yet... the season is still young). This year will also be the first time I'm going to try a fall planting. Eeek! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz, everything looks great! neat and tidy! You probably do have the smallest garden in TEG. I guess I should'nt complain about my lack of space. Have you thought of planting more things down the middle where your melon is? It would give you alot more growing space. I would think low growing plants would do well there. Just a thought. I hope your melon does well. I replanted collective farm woman and it hasn't come up yet. I'm really worried that it won't do well in my cool area.

Mary

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I figured if I was successful this year I'd keep creeping into the center area. I didn't want to maintain THAT MUCH garden this year, or turn that much soil, or figure out how to do paths.... this way the mower still fits around the garden beds. Our weedwacker is broken, and my boyfriend is rather reluctant to mow at the best of times (and, shame... I've never ever mowed a lawn in my life. I have no idea how to start/run the damn thing. If I lived alone, I'd hire someone to do it.)

I do want to add strawberries. Outside the garden, in the rest of the backyard, I'm planning on doing a Cara Cara Orange, Meyer Lemon, Persian Lime, Hass Avocado, Black Mission Fig, blackberries, and a kiwi vine. I want to put in some saffron crocuses, but I don't have a very good place to do so. And chickens. I want 4 chickens. Maybe rabbits (many thanks to Hoodat for his discussions re rabbit keeping, breeding, processing, and cooking). I'm ambitious. But I've never been very successful with the garden before, so I figured this year... THIS YEAR I was going to do it right, and then maybe expand a bit if all goes well. :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like your garden space, It is very creative and looks nice. Not sure about the mellons but I like your mellon tower it will look awesome when it is filled out with foliage. Great garden space!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks really good Joz! I couldn't believe you already have a sunflower in bloom, I don't have anything in the ground yet. I'm having a difficult time just managing the absolute have tos with the time crunch I'm under this year.

Is Riley a Border Collie? I thought I recognized that certain look of mischief brewing.

You really owe it to yourself to learn how to run the mower. It's very liberating!

At least that's what my husband tells me... ;)

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cool garden, everything looks so far along compared w/ mine. I have several mystery volunteer squash this year too, and I saw my arch enemy in your pics .................................. runner grass!!!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice use of a small space! Perfect! Everything looks healthy and beautiful. Congrats on a great job!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
looks great...I cant wait for the weather to settle so I can plant some thing besides lettuce & peas

another feeze tonight!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

I suspect that Riley is a border collie/ lab cross, but I don't know for certain. He and his brother (I presume) Winston (who looks more labby) were found running the streets of the 9th ward as 4 month old puppies, full of worms and mange. I love border collies, and we'd been talking about getting a dog, so we picked them up and have had them ever since.

Yep, we've got a lot of runner grass. Or centipede grass. Or bermuda grass. Something evil, at any rate. It looks lovely in the lawn, but in the garden it makes me nuts. That's why I made the "raised bed" frames, so I would have a clear border between Garden and Grass. The beds aren't REALLY raised (except the cucumber/dill bed).

I missed the boat on the peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts this year. I'm hoping to do those in the fall.

That trellis for the melons is an old iron/glass bathroom shelf tower that someone had put out by the trash a couple years ago. The shelves were missing, but I knew it would be perfect for a rose trellis or tomato cage. I'd love to find 15 more of them. :) I'd just been thinking of wrapping it in fencing of some sort, or stringing wires between the bars, to better accommodate the melons. I've just seen the first little... whatchacallem... tendril of gripping coming off the vine, and it looks like it will want something smaller to grab onto.

Thanks again y'all for the kind words. I've never had much luck before, and I figured I'd better get pics out now while everything was still looking good. Summer is coming. ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Depending on what kind of Acorn Squash you had last year, if they were yellow acorn squash last year that's what you have now.

If they were the regular dark green Acorn Squash last year, these are the result of a cross, which is really cool! They may have crossed with Golden Zucchini, or Yellow Patty Pan, or yellow straightneck or yellow crookneck.

At any rate, eat a couple as Summer squash, and then let a few ripen as Acorn Squash. I believe they will be extra tender, so careful not to overcook. Be sure to save their seeds and grow a few next year! It is always great fun, in fact, you might want to pollinate one yourself, and keep an ongoing pollinating thing with this squash, crossing something new and cool into its line each year. But it has to be with a "pepo" type squash each year. Pepos include regular orange pumpkins, Godiva pumpkins, vegetable spaghetti, Zucchini, Acorn types, dumpling types, summer squashes, delicatas.

That is a nice garden there. Amazing how early your season is down there in New Orleans!

Latest posts