my tomatoes are bitter

1WildHairL8r

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have been so proud of my tomatoes -- the plants are big and strong and I have about 150 of the green fruits ripening from only 4 plants!
The first two I picked a couple of weeks ago were scrumptious!
BUT... the last two tomatoes that have ripened are bitter.
The fruit itself looks beautiful and healthy.
This is my first year to have such "success" with gardening, so I am devastated that my harvest isn't edible!!
Any suggestions why this is happening?
Thanks,
Cathi B.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you had a lot of rain recently? Say the last few weeks since you picked those first tomatos. If so, then one possibility could be not enough potassium in the soil. It may have leached out due to a lot of rain in a short time period. :)

ETA: Another possibilty could be a ph drop, also caused by excess rain, which would inhibit the plant taking up potassium.

1WildHairL8r

Leafing Out
Reaction score
No, it's been pretty dry here.
I do water most days, though.
Could I be over watering?
I have fertilized around the base of the tomatoes with a nitrogen-phosphate-potash tomato food.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are using a fertilizer specifically designed for tomatos then it is probably not a lack of potassium. A number of members here in the southern regions have experienced a great deal of rain recently so that was what popped into my head.

Epsom salt provides magnesium and sulfur.

A soil test might be your best option. Then you would know exactly what you were dealing with and what to add...or not add to your soil. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

1WildHairL8r

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Do you know if those "pocket" soil testers, (like from home depot) are accurate?
I think they're pretty reasonable.

I wonder if I "fix" the soil problem, if the fruits' taste will improve?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no experience with soil testers like that. Maybe someone else reading this can offer advice on the reliability of those.

I would suggest you call your county ag extension office tommorrow and describe the problem and see what they can suggest as to possible causes. They do soil testing as well...usually for a nominal fee.

I hope your tomato's taste improves and I am sure someone here will have more info as to some other possible causes for a bitter flavor. Maybe those 2 just had a bitter outlook on life in the garden? The rest may be just fine. :)

Latest posts