My zone

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live in Alameda, California and I always knew I was in zone 17 according to Sunset magazine/map. But I noticed that you don't use this type of zoning.

What zone am I in? Again, Alameda, CA 94501

Why do you use this type of zoning? Is it better? Should I start being more aware of it?

Since I seldom use seeds, I just buy plants which I'm sure are for my zone and never bother to look further.

Thanks
Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are looking your county/state type zoning code. I think we just use the old USDA zoning. I would assume you are zone 7 or 8 where you are!? I would have to look you up for sure... but there should be a zoning map on the USDA website?! :p

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seed catalogs will use the USDA zoning too, which can help you on picking your plants. They'll typically list a zone tolerance range for everything.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
USDA zone's are mainly about winter low temperatures and a particular plants ability to withstand that degree of cold (hey, I made a pun!).

As I understand it, sunset zoning factors in summer high temperatures, humidity, average rainfall, oceanic effects as well as winter low temperatures. :)