Mylar on Greenhouse Walls ? update photos

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not post photos this is what I have for greenhttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-Products-Phoenix-10-ft-x-8-ft-Solar-Shed-with-Floor-Kit-18160-3/100350467house In the fall I had it insulated and with wood cover, never got to paint wood walls because weather turned cold. My nephew was building shelfs this weekend, when I mention about walls needing paint, he suggested covering walls in sheets of mylar. How deplorable is mylar ? Does it tear or scratch easy? Does it come in different thickness? Anyone know why I shouldn't do this? my nephew has no interest in gardening so was suprized when he come up with what sounds like a good suggestion

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with mylar. What would you use to glue it down with ? Is it UV resistant ? What happens it a gust of wind hits it ? etc. I used 4' x 8' unpainted galvanized sheet metal nailed onto 4' x 8' sheets of plywood lined walls with great success however. Will last for decades ! I have sold this property but, it has been in everyday use for over 30 years now .

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You might be ok with it inside. My DF was a Mechanical Engineer in both the paper industry and the plastics industry (large machinery sales.) He passed on decades ago, but left a big roll of plastic that he had brought home to use to create a small skating rink. It was never done, but I still have the roll. Last year was the first time I used it for anything. Yes, it is hard wearing, but you can rip it, too.
I would stick with what a know will work for a gardener...unless your materials are free, like mine.