names for peas in georgia

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok i know this is wierd but i have picked alot of purple hull peas and for some reason can't find them in several new seed catalogs.we always had some snaps in with ours.
also what are the tiny light green peas?if you live in georgia you gotta know what i am talking about.didn't see any of those either.

all of my catalogs are from up north so just wondering if the names are different.

thanks for any tips

raabfarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You might try cow peas or cowpeas Try doing a search with those words. I have been looking for a good northern variety. Not sure they have one but i have read most do good in the northern and dryer western climates too. long as you have a long enough season.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like you are talking about Lady peas. A southern cream pea and usually would be in the cow pea/southern pea section.

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wow,you guys are good.
thank you so much.

raabfarm-
yes,its a pink-eye purple hull cowpea.never heard them called cowpeas.interesting history on them.makes since that thats what we ate alot of,in Ga and we were poor growing up.i remember growing up with my grandparents and picking our own peas from feilds full of peas as far as you could see.today those fields have pine trees as far as you can see.so sad.

bid-
thats them -never heard the name before but they are so good.

raabfarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
From what I understand the southern pea has played a major role in feeding people for many years in this country and its history intrigues me. Living in the northern plains Ive only seen them on tv (with Fergi):lol: and several times on my dinner plate at the eatery. In the quest of looking for a good producing, easy keeper, the southern pea came into play. I would like to try the zipper cream but am afraid they may not do as well. The purple hull variety is what i may try also.

Latest posts