Nectarines - WWYD?

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have about 4 lbs of nectarines. It's enough to make a batch of jam. I found the following Spiced Nectarine Jam, and could try that.

But what would you do wih them? Any ideas to share?

-----------------------------------------------

SPICED NECTARINE JAM
Makes 6 1/2 7 half-pint jars

Select ripe, juicy nectarines for this recipe. For variety, you can also add other interesting things to this jam, such as 1 teaspoon rose water and a big pinch of ground cardamom for a more exotic preserve.

5 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed, light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
6 cups chopped, skin-on, ripe nectarines (Purchase about 3 lb.)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 box pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

Sterilize 7 half-pint jars and keep them in hot water until ready to drain and fill. Prepare lids and rings according to manufacturers instructions. Place a dish towel in a non-drafty area.

Measure out sugars and spices and mix together in a large bowl.

In a 6- to 8-quart heavy-bottomed, stainless steel or enameled pot, combine fruit, lemon juice, pectin and butter. Stir thoroughly. Place over medium-high to high heat and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.

When at a rolling boil, add sugar mixture and stir in well. Stirring constantly, return mixture to a full rolling boil and boil 6 minutes while continuing to stir. Reduce heat if necessary but be sure to maintain a full rolling boil.

Remove from heat and quickly ladle boiling jam into drained jars. Water bath can for 10 minutes.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would probably make jam out of them too, or maybe preserve them in another way. Not too crazy on the spices i think i would leave them out.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I ended up making a "plain" Nectarine jam (no spices). The nectarines were 8 cups chopped, and with 1 cup apple juice added, it made 2 batches. That fit better than having nectarines leftover for the spiced recipe. And besides, I sell most of my jams - the plain ones sell better than spiced ones.

I love the looks of the fruit Vfem has been doing. But our friends/relatives won't go for fruit in schnapps or other liquor. They're whiskey, beer and wine drinkers...oh, and a bunch of tea totalers too....LOL.

Latest posts