need a list of SAFE evergreen shrubs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, well you and I both know you aren't going to get away with that, 'wife.

I've got French tarragon again this year (not that it's an evergreen . . . or is it?) Anyway, after protecting it in the greenhouse over one winter, I supposedly learned that it was winter hardy outdoors here. Nope!

Let's see: on the "Safe" List . . . I don't suppose you can count Potentilla as an evergreen. They are blooming here now. Nice little shrub, couldn't get a much brighter yellow . . .

Deutzia? No, it's not an evergreen but I just like saying it: Deutzia, Deutzia, Deutzia . . . sounds like something Cary Grant would say to Rita Hayworth.

John Forsythe is in there. I mean, Forsythia! Hmmm, not an evergreen.

Evergreen Hawthorn & Cotoneaster!? Ouch, thorns for chicken feet!

Michaelmas daisy . . . ummm. Yarrow, Marguerites . . . I guess herbaceous perennials can't count.

Well, maybe someone could find a safe evergreen on that list :/ .

You know, Rosemary is good ON chicken, duck too!

S'

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey, Pat, you get quoted, too!
English laurel is one of the cherry family things that have cyanogenic compounds in their wilted/dead leaves. Same with cherry and apple trees. I have not actually heard of chickens being poisoned from this, so, I guess it depends how "very careful" you want to be.
Do you feel special now? :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
When this thread came up last month, I looked for the UCDavis "Safe Plants" list and found that it had been taken off the web. I think that the UC attorneys got to the California Cooperative Extension and told them to pull the information before somebody tried to sue the university after some adverse reaction to one of these "safe" plants.

I felt that the list was helpful and I'm disappointed that one can find dozen of webpages on toxic plants but almost nothing on safe plants :/.

Well, here's a list I came across more recently :). Do a google search with these terms: Small Animal Toxicology Pet-Friendly Alternatives

You will find a google book review of Small Animal Toxicology. The list of plants are just "possibly" pet-friendly but, good goobly goop, there's a world of favorable possibilities beyond death and taxes!

I am sorry Tuffy, boxwood is listed repeatedly in the "toxic" tables of this book :/.

Steve
I am sorry to say that this table in that google book has also been removed -- I checked the other day.

Legal liability, litigation, :hide etc. etc.

I am afraid that is what sources with useful information are running away from.

ǝʌǝʇS'

Latest posts