Need an ID of this flower

MotherOfMany

Sprout
Reaction score
This is growing in South Texas. The plant is as tall as a single story house. The elderly lady said her brother planted it well over 30 years ago. It's got a hard flesh teardrop shaped balll that the flower busts out of like a trumpet when it blooms. The petals are packed full and fluffy like a carnation. Any ideas what it is and how it reproduces?
6880_img_1507.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its either a Camelia or type of Rhododendron.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking rhododendron too, although I don't think I've ever seen one in that color. They do get tall. Very pretty!

MotherOfMany

Sprout
Reaction score
It blooms like a crepe myrtle. The balls that the bloom busts out of are about the size of a nickel though. The bloom is about 2 inches in diameter. The ball opens like a little trumpet on the backside of the bloom. The bloom has little fragrance.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well they are not crepe myrtle, too large and they don't come in that color. I'm still thinking Camelia. More petals on those, the hybrids don't smell as much as the pinks and whites do... so that would make sense.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Could it be a Pomegranate? ... :hu ... your description of the ball thing sounds like that ...

Oh.. and WELCOME to TEG! ... :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When my daughter lived in TX she called often with plant questions. That's just how she described it ... a big bush with orange balls.
The one in her yard did not fruit, but we never figured out what kind it was. It was beautiful when it was blooming!
She lives back up North now, and it's much easier to help her with landscaping ... :D